Lockers ...?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:doh: My 94 LC has the CDL push button on the dash. Think I understand that ... but the Owners manual talks about a front and rear differential lock system and push and turn switch. I don't have that switch ...should I? Does this mean that I do not have "lockers?"

Thanks for the help... :eek: :D

(Edited to add info supplied by C-Dan)

Bill,

>> I don't have that switch ...should I? Does this mean that I do not have "lockers?" <<

The US spec 93-97 FZJ80's were available with the optional electronically controlled locking differential on the front and rear axles. All US spec 80 series (91-97) had a locking center differential. The CDL dash button was supplied on the 91-92 FJ80's. In 93-94 the non-ABS equipped FZJ80's have the CDL dash button. The 93-94's with disk brakes, ABS, and FF rear do not have the CDL button. Beginning in '95, all US spec FZJ80's lost the CDL button as standard equipment and the center diff was automatically locked when put into Low range. It is unlocked when put into High range. Many people on this board have added the CDL dash switch to allow the driver to selectively lock the center diff in high or low range.

A very few on this board (and in the US) have converted their non-diff-locked FZJ80's to add the factory F&R axle diff locks. This is expensive and is a big job. The benefits for off-roading are worth it for many. There are other non-OEM options like the after market ARB lockers.

The OM mentions many options that your truck may or may not have. The resident experts have told us that approximately 7% of US spec FZJ80's were equipped from the factory with the F&R diff lock option.

HTH.
-B-

Can anybody post of picture of the F&R Diff Locker control on the dash?

Greetings Bill -

In addition to Beo's remarks, your rig will have s specifications sticker (should be on the driver side door jam) that identifies what axle was installed at the factory.

Look for this line (Axle/Tranny):

A/TM = K292/A442F - No locking differentials
A/TM = K294/A442F - Locking differentials

Mine is a 97, but I think the sticker location and codes will be the same for yours...

Cheers, R -

locker.jpg

Thanks Guys ... ParadiseCruiser...K292 it is ... so that's that!!
Thanks Beowolf for the explination. Mine was a mall cruiser before I got it and it is s m o o t h as silk... but sure looks good with that new ARB Bull Bar. I do off road, but not too serious, so do not think I will upgrade to front and rear lockers on this one for now.

Is it not cheaper to install the E-Locker when you compare it to the ARB. The price for the E-locker and harnnes includes new ring and pinions?

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

[quote author=Wrench link=board=2;threadid=9048;start=msg78664#msg78664 date=1072031626]
locker.jpg

[/quote]

Wrench

I hava a question,what is the push part of the diflock switch for exactly?

i can turn it or push it in and turn it,no difference that i can tell........

thanks

doug

An important footnote:

93-94 models that DO NOT have ABS and an FF rear axle WILL have a factory installed CDL switch in the dash just as the 91-2 models do.

It is possible that the vehicle in question is a drum brake/semi floating axle, non ABS vehicle.

D-

CruiserDan... You hit the nail right on the head with this one. Non-ABS it is ... on a 94 LC with the CDL switch on the dash. :beer: for you.

bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom