Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well this spring I am going to need to rebuild the front and rear axles on my pig. I was thinking about installing an ARB in the rear. But now I am not so sure I want to go that route. I am now thinking I can install an Aussie Locker in the rear and an Aussie Locker in the front and call it a day. Less money and get a great product.

what do you guys think?

I just put an Aussie in the rear of my 40 over the weekend, great product and easy to install. ARB makes an excellent product too, but has some inherent weaknesses due to the air actuation and is pretty damn expensive. I've heard of more than one guy who lost a locker on the trail due to the brass air lines ... then pressurized the diff and blew their axle seals :rolleyes: It's a tough call - selectable is definitely a plus and you're gonna be pulling the axles apart anyway it sounds like. I've never heard of an Aussie letting go however and your talking $500 vs. $1200+ ...

Tucker

I hope youve got some good power steering, otherwise your better start working out now.

Aussies are like 260 + shipping. Welding the rear is a good bet I welded mine based on woody's thread in tech and it has been great since then.

Lunchbox lockers make an ideal first locker. Cheap, easy, fast and they work.
Made a HUGE difference in driveability off-road. Mine lasted 4 years, some get more though. Always carry your old spiders.
Replaced it with a Detroit. Sorta the same thing without the longevity issues.

Since your Pig is a daily driver/all around family hauler, welding is not an option. The selectable is great, so long as it's set up correctly. If the fundage is there,do it. Otherwise, an aussie is hard to beat! If my pig was running I'd let you take it for a spin.

How's your driveline slop?

ridgerunner said:
Since your Pig is a daily driver/all around family hauler, welding is not an option. The selectable is great, so long as it's set up correctly. If the fundage is there,do it. Otherwise, an aussie is hard to beat! If my pig was running I'd let you take it for a spin.

How's your driveline slop?
Brian...driveline slop isnt to bad.... I can afford the Aussie locker now rather then going the ARB or Mcnamara. I would rather go McNamara. But with fundage being an issue right now the Aussie Locker gets me locked in the rear now rather then waiting anylonger.

I fingured being the Aussie was cost effective I could maybe go front and rear?

http://home.att.net/~benmlee/newsgroup/vacuumlocker.htm

PabloCruise said:
I wouldn't do an auto locker in the front.

Makes it hard to steer, hard on birfs.

I'd start in the rear and see how you like it.

Then selecatble OR LSD in front...

Hmmm..... Ive thought about doing an LSD but when I brought it up the last time folks said it was a waste of time and money.

I'd rather stay open in the front. It might not be a big concern right now, but my pig is a nice balence between driveabilty (in all conditions) and capability (except for gears) being locked in the rear and some decent springs/tires.

Ok.. so here is something else I am looking into.... I am talking with another member about converting the pig over to a 3B using the entire drivetrain from the BJ60. Good or bad idea to use the BJ's axles? Should I just keep my axles?

Hope this isn't hijacking, but my 92 FJ80 did not have the factory front/rear lockers as an option, just the center lock. I would like to lock my rear and am considering options.

Can I use a Toyota E-locker on the rear in the 92 FJ80?
Why shouldn't I do it, if I can?

Advice appreciated.

Rob

robjam said:
Can I use a Toyota E-locker on the rear in the 92 FJ80?
Why shouldn't I do it, if I can?
Rob
No - the FJ80 has a SF rear axle, where the Toyota e-locker was designed for the FF FZJ rear axle. Your best bet is either an ARB, Detroit or autolocker (Aussie, Lock-rite)... basically the same argument as this thread. You can't put an autolocker in the front of that truck however, due to the full-time 4WD.

Tucker

tucker74 said:
No - the FJ80 has a SF rear axle, where the Toyota e-locker was designed for the FF FZJ rear axle. Your best bet is either an ARB, Detroit or autolocker (Aussie, Lock-rite)... basically the same argument as this thread. You can't put an autolocker in the front of that truck however, due to the full-time 4WD.

Tucker

Thanks for the information Tucker.

Rob

I LOVED the ARB"s in my pig...was very nice to work with. Never had any issues with them. I'm kinda a selectable sorta guy, but if the budgets not there....the aussie!!!

which I know of some for sale...hmmm bolt in axles ;)

I love lockers :) what is the split of offroad to road on your pig?

mine is 50/50 so I am welded in the rear and a lock right in the front... I can shift to 2-low in non-birfield friendly manuevers.. no problems yet. Woody has a really good tech write up somewhere on welding the diff... the long wheelbase of the pig really absorbs the friction though it is noticeable.. and not friendly on ice, etc..

I have a lock-right in the rear and open up front...

if you're interested in an LSD, i've got one sitting in my basement - PM and we can work out a deal...I'm always there to help someone from Wyoming....

ah....wyoming...

bk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom