locker actuator rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
I was asked to see what I might be able to do with a set of non working actuators. So I though I'd start a thread in hopes of helping others.

Now these are really in a bad way and the outcome might not be what I'm hoping for but at least some of what I post might be useful.

Being from New England the seals failed long ago and the aggressive nature of our climate showed no mercy.

To remove the screws I used a map gas torch to heat up the area around the screw and then let them cool completely. I've found that heating and then allowing the material to cool gives the best chances in getting hardware free.

Here are a few picks of how things look now that they are disassembled.
locker actuators 001.jpg
locker actuators 002.jpg
locker actuators 003.jpg

Taggin this for further info.

Thanks for diving in Rick

Ouch! Glad you were willing to take on this project. They both worked when I bought the truck a year and a
half ago. The front was working once in awhile on my last try.

I wondered what it looked like in there, mine are super slow to engage. Probably need an overhaul. Thanks !:cheers:

Doesnt seem to look all that bad huh. I bet a very good cleaning, greasing and glueing all the magnets back to the motor housing and they will be good to go. I think the magents might be one of the problems for the intermitent operation. Mine where like that also. I used jb weld when I put them back in. I too live in New England and working on these old cruiser can be a handful of work just due to weather conditions. Great post with pics.

Thanks for taking the time to document your work Rick.

:popcorn:

just an update:

I've bead blasted the housings and have put a coat of paint on them.

I've sourced all new hardware.

I had to special order the o-rings from an online source. They should be here by next weekend.

The rear actuator was very bad and it will take more than a new o-ring to seal that one up but it should work fine.

I had some time today so I glued the magnets in place.

There are 4 magnets and they are in pairs. Each pair is the polar opposite of the other and it is important that you get the orientation correct for the motor to function.

A pair of like magnets will attract to each other so the are facing the same way and the two pairs of magnets will attract to each other in opposite directions.

Once you have paired the magnets it's important to glue them in accross from each other in the cap.

Attached shows the magnets paired together.
magnets (Medium).JPG

for orientation within the cap there are witness marks showing where the gaps are between the magnets from the original assembly. I glued the magnets back into place using those marks as a guide.
witness (Medium).JPG
witness2 (Medium).jpg

lastly I glued the magnets back in place using some epoxy. I ended up using 3M Scotch-Weld DP-110. We use this at work and it is very strong yet slightly flexable when cured. My thinking on this is that I want that slight flexability to deal with the expansion from the range of temperatures we have here in New England.

Attched are the pics showing the glue in place, the magnets installed and then the extra glue cleaned up using Q-tip swabs.
glue (Medium).jpg
magnets installed (Medium).jpg
magnets cleaned (Medium).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom