Locked up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the engine is locked down on my cruiser. was run with no oil. (long story) what do i do to assess the problems? i was thinking i could take the oil pan off and check for the main barrings to see if i spun one. but what else could it be? and if it is spun anything else i need to do when i replace the barring? like always, thank all of you for you help

Could be a rod. What ever it is it's probably major rebuild time. I ran one out of oil once and put a rod through a side wall.

Dropping the pan is a good start. Most of the time a spun bearing or other "bearing" damage won't cause the engine to lock-up. Piston/cylinder damage is a more likely cause for a seized engine.

Odds are there is more going on there than just a spun bearing, and even if it is just that, replacing the bearing won't do much for you as the crank where the bearing spun probably looks like a beaver gnawed on it. Other than a major rebuild there's not much that will revive a locked up motor.

however, some people do get very lucky, depending on how long it was run without oil.

Pulls the plugs, pour a couple teaspoons of Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders. Let it sit for a few days, then do it again. Then, using a breaker bar on the front crankshart nut, try rotating the motor slightly by hand...both directions. It might break loose.

It's rare that it works, but I have heard of it....either way, dropping the pan and checking bearings is a good idea in case there is additional (and more expensive) damage.

ok, so now i guess i gotta do a rebuild. what do it do, high porformance 2f, or regular 2f? it's a while i was down there type thing. a v-8 is not an option b/c i want to keep it mostly origanal

What are you definining as a high performance 2F? If you are mechanically inclined, you might be a ble to rebuild the engine you have. Depends on the damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom