Locked up rear end (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
84 BJ60 (4 cyl. diesel) (original owner)

Wearing it's age well (shy of 400,000KM) still reliable... no real rust on exterior.

The rear end is all locked up, feels like the passenger side rear wheel. Won't budge at all (even in 4 wheel). Any thoughts? It's been sitting in an underground parkade since Decemeber, tried to move it the other day and no dice.

Whistler, BC. If anyone is looking for this model, I am interested in selling it after the summer.

Last edited:
brakes

much thanks

appreciate the responses, much thanks...

I was recently broken into, they took my jack (wtf?) as well as my tools, stereo, speakers... left a $200 pair of sunglasses (I guess it was night time)....

Is there something quick I can do to see if it really is the e brake?

cranky cruiser said:
Is there something quick I can do to see if it really is the e brake?

Find a helper, have them sit inside and work the ebrake. You look underneath to see of the external (visable) part of the e-brake is moving. If it's not moving, that's not good. Make sure to compare to the other side for reference. If it doesn't move, maybe it's just rusted, and some penetrating oil will loosen it up.

Follow-up

Really appreciated all the suggestions. Thought I'd follow-up with how it ended up...

The rear brake was rusted stuck from sitting for so long and needed servicing - couldn't do it myself, 90 minutes at the local mechanic with no parts required - works awesome now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom