Locked keys in truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ST8ROCKS

Kevin
Threads
So got to work and locked my dang keys in the truck... They are sitting on the seat staring at me. I have 87 yota which you can just pound on the rear window until it pops open, I tired this on the rears with no luck...

Does anyone have a way to get in, I really cant afford to call AAA or a locksmith.

Thanks!

Buy a membership to AAA. One use and it's paid for.

Yea i tired them all. I usually leave my hatch unlocked but $500 worth of parts from DAN are in the back.

This is time sensitive, my lunch is in there!!!

I have done this once, out in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold while I was hunting. LUCKILY my sliding rear windows were not latched all the way and I was able to get one open.

I had a similar problem in the past. What made it even worse was that my windows were down and it looked like it was going to rain....

Anyway, I had my door panels off last weekend and was looking at the lock mechanism while I was in there. There isn't much to grab hold of with a coat hanger. This free advice is worth exactly what you pay, but I think you would take a hanger/wire with a small 90 degree bend and stick it down between the glass and door. Use the little hooked end to feel down the rear part of the door, slowly from the top. The lock mechanism is the second mechanism you'll feel, I think an inch or less below the first. IIRC, you'd have to push down on it to get it to unlock. I haven't tried this, and my memory sucks, so good luck.

Just curious, how can you be locked out with your windows down? Am I missing something here?;)

Down not quite enough to get an arm and bend it into the window :)

I've seen a few mobile lock smiths around here that will pop your lock for a flat rate... it's only like $50 or so.

I've also seen Police Officers pop locks for people, but that was in NY :meh:

Do you know anyone with AAA? I've helped out many a co-worker and friend with my membership. They just have to be there with the card and sign off on it. AAA applies not only my vehicle but any vehicle I might be IIRC.

Just curious, how can you be locked out with your windows down? Am I missing something here?;)

Yeah, what I forgot to mention is that my wife was inside the vehicle and I didn't want her to get wet.

No, you didn't miss anything. My humor didn't translate well into my post. Just being funny.

I have done this once, out in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold while I was hunting. LUCKILY my sliding rear windows were not latched all the way and I was able to get one open.

Supposedly *very* easy to get into those even when they're latched.

That's what I'd do if I had no other options.

Curtis

Pry the driver's door out from a- pillar or roof line- a wood wedge will aid you... to snake a coat hanger in there- it is an old Toyota - I 've seen camping tents that were more difficult to get in to. Or just give a kid 10 bucks on the corner - he'll have it open in 2 minutes

Pry the driver's door out from a- pillar or roof line- a wood wedge will aid you... to snake a coat hanger in there- it is an old Toyota - I 've seen camping tents that were more difficult to get in to. Or just give a kid 10 bucks on the corner - he'll have it open in 2 minutes

I'd have to agree here--I had an old Yota p/u and you could just wedge open the door near the top right-hand corner with little/no effort (then use the opened-up hanger to snake in/retrieve).

My '91 p/u is not my '91 LC, but I expect it could be just that easy...

X2 on this method. I have used it many times to get into vehicles. Simply grab or pry the top of the door (above the top of the window) open just far enough to slide a coat hanger/rod/whatever into the inside of the vehicle. Then unlock! :)

You can also have a new key made with the vin.

Is the unlock button on the keyfob staring at you as well, maybe you could poke it with the coat hanger. X2 on a friend with AAA, they just need to show id to the driver, doesn't have to be their car.

I know it doesn't help right now but i have a magnet keyholder stuffed in the frame, you would never find it unless you knew where to reach for it. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom