Locked in Dubai - 1997 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I've been building a Troop Carrier for the past 12 months and quickly realised that with the work I'm doing and still have planned, it's not going to work being without the vehicle for long periods of time, especially as it's been my Daily for the past year.

Anyway, a year of driving the Troopy and 55k KMs covers, it's time I get something as a daily.

Of course, what else in Dubai (apart from a G Wagon?) other than a big petrol Land Cruiser.

This one is a 1997 VXR, full-time 4X4, with front and rear lockers. The chassis is absolutely mint, and the body work is incredibly tidy (apart from a dent in the rear quarter, which I'll sort in due time). The paint is original throughout but looks like it hasn't seen any polish or wax for at least a decade.

Plans... I'm balls deep in the Troopy build so don't have huge amounts of money to spend on modifying this one at the moment, so initially the budget I've set aside will go towards preventative maintenance and overhaul to make sure it stays reliable.

There are bits that I will need to do quickly; changing the air vents in the front as they're all broken, giving the leather interior a bit of a refresh as the front seats have been recovered, plus polishing to within an inch of its life.

I'm also looking for a replacement ignition key with remote, if anyone knows if these are still available OEM?

BFABA079-3240-43C8-9631-215540AAAB2D.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

Interesting, looks like an LX-450...
looks clean!

An LX450 would’ve been nice but unfortunately they didn’t sell them here.

thinking about changing out the front grill for the older quad light or more basic style. Not a fan of the gold.

Its looks like they are using LX-450 rims not 80 series

I have the gold as well and not a fan of it...wish I had white or 40th Sage color...

Nice 80; looking for something similar in KSA with a 5 speed manual. I assume the engine is a 1F carburated? No fuel injected 80's in KSA so I assume the same with Dubai.

Hey, the 1FZ should be fuel injected 1994 onwards. Mine, along with a lot of them, have an EFI sticker on the bodywork somewhere.

I've just started looking online again for a diesel 80 - there are a few in Saudi, but now with travel restrictions I'm unable to go and look at them.

plenty of FI in Kuwait as well. I picked up FI '95 in november, promptly parked it in Dec and now stuck in Jordan. I had a 92 fzj80 that was carb also.

Great looking cruiser. Wheels are LX450. I've always been a fan of the pinstriping available in the middle east.

Great looking cruiser. Wheels are LX450. I've always been a fan of the pinstriping available in the middle east.

These seem to be a ME option on the wheels. There's a few with the same ones, plus the 450 wasn't available here. Can't imaging someone would've imported them separately.

Currently considering removing the decals. I like the 90's feel to them but they look terribly faded after 20+ years in the Middle Eastern sun.

I always like seeing the non-US variants of our trucks. That's a nice, clean looking rig. Nice buy, have fun with that.

nice to see the rear air option. Does it still work?

I like the decals too. If you remove them to clean up the body perhaps you can still replace them. Friend of mine was able to replace the ones on his 100 series last year. They look pretty groovy with the body colour

So I’ve finally managed to get the 80 in the workshop for some TLC.

I’ll replace pretty much every bush and mount to start with. Is there anything I should consider? Any upgrades t do at this time to make it more driveable?

I won’t be doing a big mod job on this one, instead prefer it to look relatively original, seeing as its in good condition, with maybe a small lift and some 33’’ KO2, as I just can’t stay out of the mountains.

How about an update on your 80, GE. Are you using it as a daily driver?

Jealous of that swing away tire carrier. Wish we'd had that option here.

Looking good from the North West. The best part of being in Dubai is PartSouq is front door service. You can literally rebuild almost anything with parts readily avail. good luck with the rebuild. I'll post some photos of my Bahrain project shortly... ---unlocked in Bahrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom