BaT Locked 97' with 82k mi on BAT (1 Viewer)

Bring-a-Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Green
Not mine, looks like the auction ends in a few hours

This one might be a decent BaT buy for someone looking for a great 80 to use for the next 20 years!!!

BAT prices are out of control. Check out the photos closely. That vehicle needed a complete repaint, had peeling belt molding (parked outside it's entire life), had a rusty undercarriage, grimey engine bay, oxidation of the valve cover, oil leaks, original radiator with heat aged plastic top tank.

IMHO it did not look like your typical 80,000 mile LC. More of a $15,000 vehicle (if mileage is accurate) that needed a $10,000 paint job along with $5000 worth of maintenance. Whomever bought that one has too much money.

BAT prices are out of control. Check out the photos closely. That vehicle needed a complete repaint, had peeling belt molding (parked outside it's entire life), had a rusty undercarriage, grimey engine bay, oxidation of the valve cover, oil leaks, original radiator with heat aged plastic top tank.

IMHO it did not look like your typical 80,000 mile LC. More of a $15,000 vehicle (if mileage is accurate) that needed a $10,000 paint job along with $5000 worth of maintenance. Whomever bought that one has too much money.
I have noticed this with BAT before. A certain type of vehicle starts getting attention and then the demand goes crazy and the supply comes out of the woodwork. I think 2-3 more 80’s were listed this week, with 5 on there right now. Thank goodness for capitalism.
The question what is the next must have vehicle?

Yes, This one sure looked to have more miles on it than it indicated. There were just too many wear spots in places that most 200k mile trucks show. The odo on these are old technology and therefore pretty easy to mess with by an experienced hack. I just did not believe this one had low miles on it.

That specific vehicle was sitting on Craigslist about an hour from me for months a while back. Price was around $20k IIRC and he couldn't move it, likely due to all the reasons you listed. Then instantly sells on BaT for 50% more...crazy.

Pshh, look at this one!

This is beyond insane that they'd approve of this truck.

Yes, BaT has certainly changed the collector and enthusiast car world especially this year. For those of us that were around it is really no different than the internet initially and later eBay, televised auctions etc. impacted the hobby years ago and each of those ran their course and settled into what their current form. A cornucopia of; great vehicles, a few great deals, a decent market value establisher, a look at me contest, some fraud/crime, and Usually alot of effort for both the seller and buyer to both be happy.

The effort/trouble part is usually the reason I think higher end buyers are utilizing BaT. They aren't willing or don't have the desire or flexibility to monitor CList or forum classifieds to pursue a vehicle that may or may not be real, race other buyers to contact the seller, potentially deal with unsavory folks, or run to pay for a vehicle before someone beats them to it! As they say, for SOME time ( and even effort outside their wheelhouse) is money!

Maximum value is dependent on presentation, reputation, and reaching the right buying audience at the right time and BaT executied that perfectly at a time the economy was robust. It will be interesting to see how they fare moving forward with the new ownership etc. If they continue to be selective about the quality and quantity of vehicles listed, fairly moniter the commentary, and eliminate shill bidding it can continue to be a unique place to get a solid, special, or your dream car at top of or even establish market value (which is the purpose of a well executed auction) or if they go the other direction and list anything and everything and sell advertising to drive profit and become far less unique.

In the fun free game of having an opinion and non binding guess, I thought this particular 80 would bring mid to maybe high $20k's based on current market on BaT, however 6 other's that were actually bidders thought more than my non bidding opinion, which is usually 10% or more low!

I congratulate the buyer, because they bought an 80, there is plenty of money spent on many far less cool things in the world!

The effort/trouble part is usually the reason I think higher end buyers are utilizing BaT. They aren't willing or don't have the desire or flexibility to monitor CList or forum classifieds to pursue a vehicle that may or may not be real, race other buyers to contact the seller, potentially deal with unsavory folks, or run to pay for a vehicle before someone beats them to it! As they say, for SOME time ( and even effort outside their wheelhouse) is money!

^^^^^ This. There are a lot of people out there (younger people) with a lot of money these days and they are willing to pay a "Spoon Fed" tax for their collectibles. I think where it gets tricky is that buyer who just paid $32K for that rig, that clearly needs a lot of work, is hopefully going to take it to a mechanic who knows their stuff and the mechanic is going to give them the list of repairs and maintenance and the new owner will blow a gasket at the same time the rig starts to do the same. Hopefully those deep pockets keep going deeper.

If you're willing to pay that kind of money for that vehicle, you know these vehicles are cool and coveted right now, but that's probably about it. Or you're just super lazy and money isn't an issue.

Nothing really good comes easily.

^^^^^ This. There are a lot of people out there (younger people) with a lot of money these days and they are willing to pay a "Spoon Fed" tax for their collectibles. I think where it gets tricky is that buyer who just paid $32K for that rig, that clearly needs a lot of work, is hopefully going to take it to a mechanic who knows their stuff and the mechanic is going to give them the list of repairs and maintenance and the new owner will blow a gasket at the same time the rig starts to do the same. Hopefully those deep pockets keep going deeper.

If you're willing to pay that kind of money for that vehicle, you know these vehicles are cool and coveted right now, but that's probably about it. Or you're just super lazy and money isn't an issue.

Nothing really good comes easily.

60's and 80's always had such a large price discrepancy, but it seems like this gap is lessening. More and more rigs are getting put up that need too much work, but since everyone is pricing their LC at the sub $20k range, there's no way to knock sense into sellers to convince them they're not worth it. Everyone keeps referring to these crazy priced BaT links, but fail to realize there's a "rigorous" checklist that goes into approving an auction. I put the quotes because not sure if that's the case anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the vehicles were "rigorously" checked they would have told the owner to get rid of that desert tan radiator before they accepted it.

Really fun points, the 80 Series are just following the collector car cycle.

When the buying generation is in or approaching their ~50's the vehicles that were significant in their car dreaming age escalate in value and popularity the quickest and that continues for a while till their too old to enjoy them.

Most of us are somewhat perplexed because we have been enjoying 80's for 15-20-25 years when you still saw plenty in the grocery store parking lot each trip!

Really, no different than the muscle car guys who graduated HS/College/military/trade school in the 60's who can still rattle off the list of cars they or someone they knew owned when they were just used cars!!!

Yeah, the economy is pretty strong and disposable income is being spent on 80's and several other things these days, talk to anyone you know in the boat or powersport business about their record sales year in 2020!!

Yeah, the economy is pretty strong and disposable income is being spent on 80's and several other things these days, talk to anyone you know in the boat or powersport business about their record sales year in 2020!!
Or try to buy a snowmobile 🤯

I’m in the house of, if you can sell it for $$$$ , why not. The only way prices come down is if people stop paying. The good side is, it justifies us ( current owners) putting more money into our rigs😎.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom