Wanted Locked 40th Anniversary / Collectors Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know they're rare, but I've wanted a 97 40th Anniversary, OR Collectors Edition with lockers for the last 10 years, and I may now have the means. If anyone spots one, please post here or PM me. I've got cash and possible trades ready to go. Thanks!

Last edited:
my 2 cents, wait for the right one, study up with mud. Basically avoid the missteps I made by buying one emotionally, and now I'm 5k in, on top of paying too much 5k for a 91' one owner, 145k. its great, and i am beyond the point of no return fixing her up, but I could have done better if I waited and studied more here on mud. Great folks in this community, good advice from many, some advice turns out to be incorrect when fact checked against other sources. Generally, if someone gives out the wrong advice, there are people here that jump on it to set it straight. Would have never bought an 80 without this site. Buy a membership and enjoy no ad's and better functionality, I'm happy I did. Enjoy the quest, good luck!

E8BAA758-CA7D-4128-A8FD-1B4F445EAADB.jpeg
9B04FF7D-A7D8-43E8-9CF2-FD8D333F85B4.jpeg
D607DDDC-6C80-4FD9-9616-5B84248C3654.jpeg
A26439CA-4C01-4AA3-82E6-206FE6416C15.jpeg

my 2 cents, wait for the right one, study up with mud. Basically avoid the missteps I made by buying one emotionally, and now I'm 5k in, on top of paying too much 5k for a 91' one owner, 145k. its great, and i am beyond the point of no return fixing her up, but I could have done better if I waited and studied more here on mud. Great folks in this community, good advice from many, some advice turns out to be incorrect when fact checked against other sources. Generally, if someone gives out the wrong advice, there are people here that jump on it to set it straight. Would have never bought an 80 without this site. Buy a membership and enjoy no ad's and better functionality, I'm happy I did. Enjoy the quest, good luck!

I really appreciate the note @mts2snd. And you're right, buying on emotion is never a good idea, but it's difficult when the market for these is moving so quickly. I've had a couple bought out from under me in the past because I wanted to have an inspection done, be prepared, and someone else just showed up with cash and caution to the wind. Very frustrating, but I keep telling myself the right one will come along, and regardless, this is a vehicle I plan to keep for a very long time, so I want to make sure it's right. That all being said, do you have any suggestions on where to start on this forum? Is there a quintessential study guide to the 80s series somewhere that I should read? Thanks again for the input!

Shows 0 accidents on Autotcheck. did you run a different report? It is nice, wonder if it'll fetch 15.5k?

I had him send me the actual carfax report for it. I also looked up the VIN on Toyota.com's owner section - checks out as an authentic collector's edition in Desert Dune Metallic. Seems to all line up. Hoping he would take a bit less than 15k though...

there's a white one in Denver that just popped up on carsforsale. asking 14.5k

Yeah, I actually looked at that one before they had it ready to post. And I think they have it up for $15k. It was decent, but not as clean as I'd like for the asking price in my opinion. Good looking in photos, not the same in person.

Still looking!

Quick question for the audience though, just for fun.

Hypothetically, if I found a 97 40th with around 150k, lets say 2 or 3 owners, in all around exceptional, stock condition, but it didn't have factory lockers, what sort of price should I expect?

I ask because I'm trying to gauge if holding out for one with factory lockers, over adding after market lockers, is worth the wait and patience if a non-locked showed up at a good price.

Still looking!

Quick question for the audience though, just for fun.

Hypothetically, if I found a 97 40th with around 150k, lets say 2 or 3 owners, in all around exceptional, stock condition, but it didn't have factory lockers, what sort of price should I expect?

I ask because I'm trying to gauge if holding out for one with factory lockers, over adding after market lockers, is worth the wait and patience if a non-locked showed up at a good price.

Around $15k out here in SoCal

Around $15k out here in SoCal
Even without the factory lockers? Do factory lockers vs after market hold the same value? I always felt that people preferred the factory e lockers but maybe it doesn't make as big a difference as I thought.

Even without the factory lockers? Do factory lockers vs after market hold the same value? I always felt that people preferred the factory e lockers but maybe it doesn't make as big a difference as I thought.

Factory lockers definitely increase the value (more so than aftermarket) and are preferred but you only really need them if you're doing serious wheeling. Probably increase the value a few k. 150k miles is super low mileage. Stock, perfect condition, all PM done, with a more usual 220k would be more like $11k maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom