Lock-Rite / Aussie Locker Differential Gear Oil/Lube Choices Relating to Temperature (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm buttoning up the Lock-Rite installation here in NH this week and not sure if I should continue to run the standard 80W-90 or go heavier. Heavier oil is mentioned in the manual unless the weather is cool. It is already a lot cooler here and most days don't get above the 50's. The winter is long and cold :mad: I'm thinking I will be OK until we get to next summer.

My question is, what are other lunch box locker owners running for gear oil? Is 80W-90 OK in warmer months where temps run from 60 to 90 degrees? ( I rarely drive more than a full hour at speed on the highway.) What are your experiences as to performance and noise with the lighter and heavier lubes?

Thanks!

PS: Please don't hijack this into a discussion as to Aussie vs Lock-Rite, etc. There are plenty of other threads in existance that discuss all of that ad infinitum :cheers:

Hi All:

Go ahead and use the typical GL5 rated 75W90 gear oil with your Lockrite for cold weather use.

I have been using 80W140 gear oil with the rear Lockrite in my FJ40 but it does not get as cold here. The heavier gear oil is recommended for buffering the action of the 'locker.

Regards,

Alan

Using 80 wt year round in mine Larry. No problems.

Lane

Thanks Lane!

I am using regular ol' gear oil weights here in Hillsboro, NH.

Thanks to everyone for all the input!!!

I run the cheapest 90w140 i can find here in Texas, I have also put 75w90 in there with no issues either way, acts the same to me. only reason I run the thicker oil is for better protection when wheeling no other reason what so ever.

x2 CruisinFJ60, I do the same in my 40 with a Lock - Rite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom