Lock Nut/Adjusting Nut 43521-60011 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Starting work on rebuilding the front axle of my 95 LC and I've gotten to the 54mm lock and adjusting nuts. Waiting on the Wits End modified socket but I was able to get the passenger side off by hand, the driver side is pretty rusty which brings me to my question....

From the looks of it whoever was in here last used a screwdriver to spin these nuts off and put some decent sized gouges in the nuts. It also seems like they didn't put the adjusting nut and lock washer in on the driver side at all so I have to buy at least one new nut. Would anyone recommend getting 4 new nuts to replace the gouged ones and missing one or just get a single nut for the missing one and file the others smooth?

Thanks for the help!!

Their cheap enough to get new ones, rather than rework the dinged up ones.... but it won't hurt anything to reuse them. Just get the burrs off the mating faces so they torque up properly.

The lock washer is more important here. You want to be able to cleanly bend the tabs over without them breaking off. Don't skimp on it, they're cheap.

The lock washer is more important here. You want to be able to cleanly bend the tabs over without them breaking off. Don't skimp on it, they're cheap.

Yea I have all the parts ordered for the rebuild and got two of those. Good thing since there isn't even one on the driver side!!!

Their cheap enough to get new ones, rather than rework the dinged up ones.... but it won't hurt anything to reuse them. Just get the burrs off the mating faces so they torque up properly.

True. I'll probably order new ones since I have to get a new cone washer as well since there was only 5 on the driver side holding the hub flange on!

True. I'll probably order new ones since I have to get a new cone washer as well since there was only 5 on the driver side holding the hub flange on!

Best to get a few of the studs that the cone washers fit on, too, if you haven't ordered some already. Sounds like your truck was abused a bit (missing the lock washer is somewhat unsafe, which often means some of the studs have been overtorqued and may need replacement. I don't have the torque specs handy, but it's a pretty low value and all too easy to bust them, so be sure you've got a torque wrench that is set to the correct value when doing this.

Best to get a few of the studs that the cone washers fit on, too, if you haven't ordered some already. Sounds like your truck was abused a bit (missing the lock washer is somewhat unsafe, which often means some of the studs have been overtorqued and may need replacement. I don't have the torque specs handy, but it's a pretty low value and all too easy to bust them, so be sure you've got a torque wrench that is set to the correct value when doing this.

26 ft-lbs on those.

I hadn't thought of that but I will definitely add them to the list. I got the Wits End poster with all the torque specs in preparation and have finally taken the leap into the rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom