Lock front wheel when changing tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Silly question... had the front wheel in the air while changing a tire and i couldn't get it to stop spinning. In theory if i put the transfer in 4H and the hub in 4x4 and the truck is in gear or the handbrake engaged it shouldn't spin right? Could it be a problem with the hub (can't remember the name in english, "rueda libre" in spanish) or would i need to have set the transfer and locked the hub before parking it for them to be engaged properly?

Silly question... had the front wheel in the air while changing a tire and i couldn't get it to stop spinning. In theory if i put the transfer in 4H and the hub in 4x4 and the truck is in gear or the handbrake engaged it shouldn't spin right? Could it be a problem with the hub (can't remember the name in english, "rueda libre" in spanish) or would i need to have set the transfer and locked the hub before parking it for them to be engaged properly?
Have someone hold the brake or put the tire on the ground.

break them loose with it setting on the ground, snug them up in the air, then drop it. tighten them with it setting on the ground.

break them loose with it setting on the ground, snug them up in the air, then drop it. tighten them with it setting on the ground.

The only way I change tires. If the lug nuts are tight enough risk the the vehicle rounding it is also recommended to block the other wheel on the same side of the vehicle when' the wheel being changed is in the air.

Of course if you search hard enough will find a FJ45's wheel being changed while the vehicle is being driven on two wheels. Again something I would not recommend

It’s frightening that someone has to explain this :(

Now I get why people have trouble with wheel spacers 😂

Electric impact changes everything - but that’s a wee bit advanced here.

It’s frightening that someone has to explain this :(

Now I get why people have trouble with wheel spacers 😂

Electric impact changes everything - but that’s a wee bit advanced here.

The OPs question has nothing to do with breaking lug nuts loose or changing a tire.

@rloaderro , you are incorrect on your 1st question. The other hub has to be engaged to stop the wheel in the air from spinning. You have an open differential. With the trans in gear or hand brake on and the t/case in 4wd and 1 hub locked, the wheel in the air will still spin. When it spins it is turning the other sides axle in the opposite direction. To stop the axles from spinning you need to lock both hubs.

The OPs question has nothing to do with breaking lug nuts loose or changing a tire.

@rloaderro , you are incorrect on your 1st question. The other hub has to be engaged to stop the wheel in the air from spinning. You have an open differential. With the trans in gear or hand brake on and the t/case in 4wd and 1 hub locked, the wheel in the air will still spin. When it spins it is turning the other sides axle in the opposite direction. To stop the axles from spinning you need to lock both hubs.
thank you @pb4ugo - that is exactly what i was asking and you gave me exactly the information i was missing.. sorry if the way i wrote the question was misleading, i know how to change a tire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom