Lock cylinder help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Locked ignition cylinder help!

Taking out my lock cylinder today (don't ask) and it came out fine, but now I can't get it back in!! Help!

More info: The cylinder itself is completely locked up! The key won't turn it while it's out - is that unusual? I think the key turned while sliding the cylinder out - I now can't quite tell but it's either in "start" or "off"

I'm guessing it's just not lining up, therefore not going in, but I don't know how to set the lock cylinder back to the ACC position - it won't budge. :mad:

Any help!?

Thanks -

Kevin
77 FJ40 2F

Last edited:
OK - just tested this on my 76 FJ40 lock cylinder and worked fine. You are right that you need to have the cylinder in ACC position to install. Also, my cylinder does not turn outside of the steering column without doing what I note below.

Witn your cylinder that is out of the column, put key in all the way (as far as it will go). Then pull key out a few clicks. If you look in the back of the cylinder (opposite end from where key goes in), you can see where the tumblers(??) get pushed down as key inserts. You need to pull the key out enough so that the tumbler closest to the outside retracts and then the key will turn.

May not make sense but thats the best I can describe it. Just pull key out a little and try turning - may take a few tries before it turns. If not, pull key out some more and try turning. There is a point where if the key is in too far or out too far the cylinder won't turn.

HTH

AndrewT

AndrewT,

Thanks for the explanation - and thanks for experimenting on your own cylinder!!
Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to work on mine - but I'll keep trying. No matter where the key is, it doesn't seem to want to turn the cylinder. I think it was working fine before I had to go yanking it out - but it seems like it's locked or something. Like when the steering wheel gets locked - same thing...but...no steering wheel.

Hmm.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks-
Kevin

Snap some pics and post them up

Curious what position your cylinder is in. I will take a pic of mine and send later.

Note that doing what I noted before does not just work immediately. You need to jiggle the key around and try turning it - sometimes for a few mins before it goes.

AndrewT

Jiggle and pics

I tried to attach some pics - hope they come out, I'm not sure I know how to post them. (sorry, newbie)

Regardless - I tried jiggling for awhile before and again last night - at least an hour anyway. I think something is wrong and I'm guessing it's because it wasn't in ACC when I took it out. But sure seems like it should move back somehow. Anyway - thanks for your continued support and help on this.

Kevin
lock cylinder front1.jpg
lock cylinder back2.jpg

Here is my cylinder. The key is turned to ACC position. You can see roughly how far out it is to do this.

Not sure what is up with yours. Its not easy to get but it will turn eventually.

Can you see the rear of the cylinder trying to turn with the key in or is it totally frozen? By your pics, it looks like your key is in the off position.

AndrewT

Last edited:
ON the back of the switch is a rectangular male post, (best I can describe) That must line up with the plastic female. IF your key is on acc. then turn the plastic one click. If it is on "on" two clicks. Everythng should slide together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom