Location of tail light on FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of buying a 71. On this particular 40, the brake lights (single, round) are located in the rear quarter panels. On other pictures, I have seen they are attached to rear fender on 71's.

Do you think it's a modification or do I really have an older model? I have not picked it up yet so I cannot look at placard at this point.

Tail lamps were attached to the rear frame crossmember, never in the body.

:beer:

On the early models, up to 75, the tail lights were located on brackets that bolted to the end of the rear frame crossmember. This set the lights right below the rear quarter panel area. The original tail lights on a 71 should be slightly larger than the rear crossmember size. Inward from the lights would have been the round reflectors, bolted to the frame, and then the two horseshoe shaped bumperettes are back there.

In 75, the tailights were set right in the frame and were rectangular, with seperate turn and backup lights. Early models had a single seperate backup light mounted on the rear above the 4wd and Toyota emblem.

Taillights mounted in the sheetmetal of the rear quarter panels are all owner installed and never occured from the factory.

If you want original, this is not original this way, however, by raising the tailights from the frame is beneficial. For one they catch rocks and mud off the tires and get broken and rusted, they also get hit on the ground, they are low, but they are easier to see up hihg, more safe.

MoCoNative said:
On the early models, up to 75, the tail lights were located on brackets that bolted to the end of the rear frame crossmember. This set the lights right below the rear quarter panel area. The original tail lights on a 71 should be slightly larger than the rear crossmember size. Inward from the lights would have been the round reflectors, bolted to the frame, and then the two horseshoe shaped bumperettes are back there.

In 75, the tailights were set right in the frame and were rectangular, with seperate turn and backup lights. Early models had a single seperate backup light mounted on the rear above the 4wd and Toyota emblem.

Taillights mounted in the sheetmetal of the rear quarter panels are all owner installed and never occured from the factory.

If you want original, this is not original this way, however, by raising the tailights from the frame is beneficial. For one they catch rocks and mud off the tires and get broken and rusted, they also get hit on the ground, they are low, but they are easier to see up hihg, more safe.

Tail lamps changed in 09/73....1974 modle year....

:beer:

do they look like this?
SOA (3)_1.jpg

First chance I get, bodywork and back to stock with the lights. PO's :doh:
DSCN0782 (Medium).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom