locate wind noise help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had my front windshield replaced a few years back by the same garage that rebuilt my engine - know them and like them and continue to use - they are are 30 min drive away though...... so running to the garage quickly is a pain.......

First time on washboard I could hear and see the windshield vibrating within the gasket such that pressing against it stopped the shrieking vibration noise.

So - took it back to my garage and they had the installers they used come out and seal up the windshield using some type of sealant - shrieking and vibrating stopped. No water penetration - seems okay.......

But, I have a rather irritating wind noise coming from somewhere and can't locate - i took back to my garage (i paid to install - they can figure it out!) and they are saying the noise is coming from sunroof. I check and see it has recessed a little - I see the posts on how to shimmy it up and considering replacing that grommet as well.......

In the meantime I taped up the sunroof using heavy duty tape at the seams and I'm still getting windnoise - pretty loud.......

Question - is there a temporary sealant (or permanent) that I could inject into the gap between the gasket and window - well I know there is but having trouble locating - worth a try to do that and replace sunroof before i take back to my garage and say fix!

I used OEM gasket in wind shield.

Thanks in advance as always!

This 3M product is what our body shop uses. I’ve used it to seal gaps elsewhere. Very strong!!

38221D79-7CAC-4644-BA7D-B3A229A9D588.jpeg

Last edited:
Had my front windshield replaced a few years back by the same garage that rebuilt my engine - know them and like them and continue to use - they are are 30 min drive away though...... so running to the garage quickly is a pain.......

First time on washboard I could hear and see the windshield vibrating within the gasket such that pressing against it stopped the shrieking vibration noise.

So - took it back to my garage and they had the installers they used come out and seal up the windshield using some type of sealant - shrieking and vibrating stopped. No water penetration - seems okay.......

But, I have a rather irritating wind noise coming from somewhere and can't locate - i took back to my garage (i paid to install - they can figure it out!) and they are saying the noise is coming from sunroof. I check and see it has recessed a little - I see the posts on how to shimmy it up and considering replacing that grommet as well.......

In the meantime I taped up the sunroof using heavy duty tape at the seams and I'm still getting windnoise - pretty loud.......

Question - is there a temporary sealant (or permanent) that I could inject into the gap between the gasket and window - well I know there is but having trouble locating - worth a try to do that and replace sunroof before i take back to my garage and say fix!

I used OEM gasket in wind shield.

Thanks in advance as always!

Keep going with the roll of tape to tape off areas you think might be causing the noise, and go for a drive.
If you taped the sunroof, and noise is persisting, its a good indication the noise is elsewhere

I had an LED light bar on a previous vehicle that howled terribly. I worked out it was due to wind passing through cooling fins.
It was close to the top of the front grille, and I eventually shifted it lower down which changed the path of air over it and through it, and shut it up.

Strategically placed short strips of tape over things you suspect helps locate a noise, don't go and tape everything up wholesale all at once.
Eg
8" strip on corners of windshield rubber, gaps in trim etc

Strategically placed short strips of tape over things you suspect helps locate a noise, don't go and tape everything up wholesale all at once.
Eg
8" strip on corners of windshield rubber, gaps in trim etc
Good idea - it’s coming from the upper windshield so will start there with two and then seal up with the caulk above if that’s where it’s coming from - thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom