Local Toyota dealer frustrations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So,
I dropped my LX470 (2000) at the local Toyota dealership for an alignment and road force balance on the new tires. They did the balance, it's "ok" these are Toyo OCII 285/70/17 on Rock Warriors. They *should* balance out nicely.
Anyway, they "aligned" it and I could see some positive camber on the RF, but they said it "hit specs" (no sheet provided). I drove it a couple months and looking at the RF I'm starting to see some feathering of the outer tread block. I take it back and ask them to check the alignment. They came back and said "in spec" and I asked for a copy of the sheet which they didn't have. Called back and the service writer says, it's a "little" out on the RF camber, .9 degrees Pos, spec says .8 pos is upper end. Then he says, your wheel bearings are bad, I'm working up a quote.
He calls back with the quote, $2,100+ parts and labor. He says "hubs are sealed unit, wheel bearings not available separately." Wut? Then he says, no camber adjustment possible on the 100 series. I've seen the '04 factory manual, the UCA bolts are cammed for adjustment, are they all like this, ie '98-2007?
I don't think these guys will see my rig again...

Hubs are absolutely not a sealed unit. Service writer is clueless or called the wrong customer.

Here's the parts diagram (complete with part numbers for this "service writer").

I'm unsure on alignment specs so I'm not going to muddy the waters with a guess on that. Regardless, I'd print this out and hand it to the service writer as you pick the car up to take it to a shop that has a clue what they're doing. Your AHC delete probably doesn't help their stance as an OEM-only sort of shop, but they should know better than what you've posted. Might also be worth a call to Lexus USA. I'm sure they would like to know that their dealership is misguided at best and needs some training.

1596565734626.png

Man, I'd run from any dealers. Caught too many throwing blatant lies over the last15yrs. Even their master techs (usually shop supervisors) are suspect, imho.

There must be some respected independents in your area. My go to mech test is parking brake procedure.

Thanks for the replies, I just don't get the dealers. We have 4 Toyota vehicles (work) that we service with their shop, gotta say this episode with my private vehicle has me rethinking my maintenance business with them.
We had a similar problem with the local Dodge dealer on a Dodge (MB) Sprinter, tried to sell us a $3500 turbo job, turned out it was a loose hose clamp. They never saw another $0.10 from me/us.

Beware of the service departments, yes, but get chummy with the parts department folks. They routinely beat online prices when I buy from the parts counter. I've never asked for a discount, but I do know the general cost of stuff online before I walk in and discuss my needed parts with them. I always let them wade through the part diagrams even though I can directly tell them the part number. Maybe my approach works, maybe they are eager for the business, I don't know; whatever the reason, it works!

Thanks for the replies, I just don't get the dealers. We have 4 Toyota vehicles (work) that we service with their shop, gotta say this episode with my private vehicle has me rethinking my maintenance business with them.
We had a similar problem with the local Dodge dealer on a Dodge (MB) Sprinter, tried to sell us a $3500 turbo job, turned out it was a loose hose clamp. They never saw another $0.10 from me/us.
Yeah that is the "I REALLY don't want to do this job" price. Seems like stuff like this is pretty rampant among dealerships, if the vehicle is more than 10 yrs old they have zero inclination to handle it because most of the "service" money is made assembly line style with jobs that are quick. Get'm in, Get'm out and just keep'm coming.

My Toyota dealer told me I needed to have my brake fluid flushed, funny they said that because it was just done less than 5k ago. They don’t check, they just follow a mileage recommendation. It’s too bad. I try to do my own work unless I have a Time crunch..

Sorry to hear about this man, these guys when they see them cruisers it’s like the cash register starts ringing to their ears. This is exactly why I do my own camber and alignment with use of basic principles of geometry and measurement.

You need a good indy shop.

I DIY almost exclusively, but nothing beats having someone you trust for when you can't or don't want to do it. In my experience, that is rarely dealers. Swamped service managers, techs just trying to beat the book, management trying to game the rating system and ownership only sees dollars and corporate. No real ownership anywhere. Any bitching is just 'problem customers'.

Find the guy who hires good employees, treats them like family, and has his reputation on the front the shop. Take something small in there that you would normally do yourself. Give them a chance and see how honest they are.

$.02

So,
I dropped my LX470 (2000) at the local Toyota dealership for an alignment and road force balance on the new tires. They did the balance, it's "ok" these are Toyo OCII 285/70/17 on Rock Warriors. They *should* balance out nicely.
Anyway, they "aligned" it and I could see some positive camber on the RF, but they said it "hit specs" (no sheet provided). I drove it a couple months and looking at the RF I'm starting to see some feathering of the outer tread block. I take it back and ask them to check the alignment. They came back and said "in spec" and I asked for a copy of the sheet which they didn't have. Called back and the service writer says, it's a "little" out on the RF camber, .9 degrees Pos, spec says .8 pos is upper end. Then he says, your wheel bearings are bad, I'm working up a quote.
He calls back with the quote, $2,100+ parts and labor. He says "hubs are sealed unit, wheel bearings not available separately." Wut? Then he says, no camber adjustment possible on the 100 series. I've seen the '04 factory manual, the UCA bolts are cammed for adjustment, are they all like this, ie '98-2007?
I don't think these guys will see my rig again...

Incredible!!!!!

Best to find somebody who knows what they are doing with suspension, wheels, tires, and required front-end geometry. Let's also add that there are differences in front-end alignment specifications -- meaning camber, castor, toe-in, steering axis inclination, etc -- varies in some details across LX470 and LC100 models.

As you mention, all this can be found in the FSM, for example at -- https://lc100e.github.io/manual/ -- by following these tabs: "Repair Manual" > "SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS" > "SUSPENSION AND AXLE" > "SERVICE DATA".

How can a Dealer not know where to find this stuff?

There may be some differences with choice of wheels, tires, lift, etc. but how hard can it be?

I had new bearings fitted and hubs repacked last month -- as @suprarx7nut already mentioned, no way are they a sealed unit, bearing kits are readily available and cost nothing like $2,100 in anybody's dollars.

Hope you can find an outfit which is a lot more helpful.

Write YELP review.
If you want to push the issue, write out detailed listing of parts (as posted above) and send it to the service manager and Dealer owner. Sometimes a 'friendly' complaint in the right direction can get results.

Don't mind doing the DIY stuff, but an alignment I would take to a shop. I use the local dealer for parts - I bring in a print out of the best (dealer) price I can find and the local guys match it ($475 for steering rack, $220 for rear bumper cover, etc). No shipping and parts get there fast.
<edit - actually 'eyeballed alignment after installing steering rack, seems fine. Will get alignment with new tires!)
Kevin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom