Local source for cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for 2 and 4 gauge battery cable for my rig and was wondering if there is a good local source in the valley. I am finding rolls of 50 ft and I do not need anywhere near that. I am rewiring under the hood for my 150 amp alt and Hellroaring unit. Any references would be appreciated.
Tony

I've bought wire online in the past from knukonceptz.com. It was the best deal I could find. You can buy 1/0 gauge for $1.75/foot, which is pretty good I'd say! Here is a link.
Car Audio Wire

you can check Marine West or is that West Marine....whatever they have cable.

Cable thoughts

I am looking for 2 and 4 gauge battery cable for my rig and was wondering if there is a good local source in the valley. I am finding rolls of 50 ft and I do not need anywhere near that. I am rewiring under the hood for my 150 amp alt and Hellroaring unit. Any references would be appreciated.
Tony

Might also want to check with a welding supply shop. They have heavy gauge cables for welding that are nice and flexible - I've also seen heavy flexible cable and good copper lugs at Ace Hardware down in Tucson. Don't forget to get some heat shrink tubing to cover over the joint where you connect the lugs to the cable. A arbor press to do a good mechanical connection will make it easier, though a 3lb sledge and a round-tipped chisel will also work. :)

$.02.

Glenn in Tucson

So which is better, solder or crimp?

So which is better, solder or crimp?

It's generally accepted that a good quality crimp is more reliable in a vibration prone environment like a truck.

Crimp it then solder it, can't go wrong. I've found that if I'm having an electrical issue, it's usually where I didn't solder. So I solder every connection now.

Overkill on electrical

Put anti-corrosion on the cable end, crimp the copper lug onto it, solder it shut around the lug opening, then heatshrink over it.

That should do it. :)

When I fabbed up some heavy gauge primary and grounds on my 60 as part of my "What size alternator is this?" repairs I just did the grease, pound, heatshrink as I couldn't find the soldering gun. Been a year, and still good.

Glenn in Tucson

You can also buy the cable (sold by the foot) and ends, from Napa dealers, or my first choice in the Tucson area would be Merle's. Sometimes Carquest is a good source, but it depends on the dealer.

Tony

What alternator are you going with?

I have a 150 amp alt from a Sequoia

not sure where you are at, but i am up on the north end of phoenix. i have a couple rolls of 4g audio wire in my garage. you can have a few pulls if you need.

also, tools is right in my .02. in past experience, large gauge wire becomes prone to breaking when soldered in a vehicle environment. small stuff, yes, but no to larger gauge. and always heatshrink.

You need a different bracket that Bill fabbed up

I am also a big fan of welding cable. The cooper strands are smaller and the insulation is better, making it more flexible.

Does anyone know the gauge wire Toyota used for the battery GND and PWR cables? Is that 4 ga wire from the factory?

I just ripped them all out and they measure 4 gauge from the factory

Pulled the trigger on welding cable. Thanks for your opinions, very much appreciated.

Dang Tony, I've got spools of red and black cable in both 4ga and 4/0.

WHERE have you been? :idea: No biggie, they are on the way. I wanna drive it and tired of it sitting in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom