Local Land use issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
From an email alert I received ;p

For those of you who have been on the Camino Del Diablo you can appreciate the fact that the road needs to remain open.

The road was cherry stemmed years ago. What that means is, the road was allowed through the area, but the main road only. All other smaller roads off the main El Camino Road were closed to the public. So throughout this entire area, which is very large, there is one main road. http://www.4x4now.com/pp001.htm

Two years ago the environmentalists decided that the prong horn sheep needed to have "quiet time." That means the road is now closed from March or April 15 (am verifying the date) to September 1 of each year for lambing. The road being closed in the summer really isn't much of a problem. But they closed it during the high travel time.

I have done Camino for many years and we have had a constant battle to keep this one historic road open. This has been a road or route for over 400 years.

Please take a couple of minutes to write a letter.

Thank You
Becky
Land Use

This is what I received from Sandee McCullen the ASA4WDC Land Use Chair

Subject: Camino Del Diablo - Cabeza Prieta Nat. Wildlife refuge

All,

I was just in Ajo and stopped in at the FWS office there to make a contact about Tread Lightly! in Ajo. I just found out that they are updating their plan for the Cabeza Prieta area and Camino Del Diablo will be affected. This is the only road open between Ajo and Yuma. From what the person at the counter told me, they want to limit the road to licensed 4wd only. This would be a change from licensed vehicles only. That means that dual sport bikes and licensed, quiet, slow driving ATVs would be disallowed. If it were me, my comments would ask for the plan to identify the science that points to motorcycles and ATVs having an effect on the particular species in the refuge. If speed is the issue, then mitigating measures such as speed limits could be implemented. If noise is the issue, then a decibel limit should be set.

I checked the FWS website and it says the scoping comment period ended on Feb 14. If someone is interested in submitting a comment contact John Slown at 505-248-7458. He is the person listed on the website as the planning contact or call the Cabeza Prieta NWR. The draft will be coming out in December according to the website.

This is information for you. Submit comments if you are concerned. (sender name deleted due to identity)

Thanks for posting this information.

We made the trip 2 years ago, and it was one of the most memorable 4wd experiences I have ever had. The only reason we haven't been back was my bout of unemployment didn't allow us to spend any money on things we enjoyed.

We plan on returning everytime we can.

My letter will go out this week.

woodsfj40 said:
Thanks for posting this information.

We made the trip 2 years ago, and it was one of the most memorable 4wd experiences I have ever had. The only reason we haven't been back was my bout of unemployment didn't allow us to spend any money on things we enjoyed.

We plan on returning everytime we can.

My letter will go out this week.

I made it several years ago. And I agree, one of my most memorable trips too. It was full moon both night we were out there. The desert in the middle of the night was surreal. Particularly at the Tinajas Altas stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom