Local Knowledge, Advice for Best Restoration Work / Shops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm originally from NC and I met a couple of guys from the group at the Uwharrie event a few months ago. I've been all over for a while now and I recently moved to the Charleston, SC area. I don't know a thing about who to go to for resto related work down here and I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction instead of my searching in vain. I'm looking for quality shops at the top of their game. I know some of my list might not exist here or some places may do one or more of what I'm looking for in house. Any recommendations or help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Engine builders
Machine shop
Cryo treating
Tranny shop
Gear, suspension shop
Body shop
Shop with immersion tanks for stripping and treating/coating

I'm originally from NC and I met a couple of guys from the group at the Uwharrie event a few months ago. I've been all over for a while now and I recently moved to the Charleston, SC area. I don't know a thing about who to go to for resto related work down here and I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction instead of my searching in vain. I'm looking for quality shops at the top of their game. I know some of my list might not exist here or some places may do one or more of what I'm looking for in house. Any recommendations or help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Engine builders
Machine shop
Cryo treating
Tranny shop
Gear, suspension shop
Body shop
Shop with immersion tanks for stripping and treating/coating
I’m using Marshall at @Trollhole (Greenville, SC) for my replacement engine rebuild. There are various shops in Charleston, but I’m not sure their capabilities.

David @dbenke may be able to assist / provide ideas. Maybe @CharlestonG8R can also.
Lex Tech - phenomenal skills, but prefers to work on late model vehicles
Simmons Balancing used to be my dads shop of choice.... in the 60s.
PT Transmission on Rivers has done work on Fords/Chevy for me.

Welcome to the area....

Engine builders - This is going to depend on what exactly you are looking to do. Since I'm rolling pretty much stock, I take my 40 and 80 up to see Marshall as we have established a good relationship. If you're looking to do something aftermarket, you could still go to him, of course, but there are others in town that you could go to. If you're on Facebook, there are a few local groups that you could join.
Machine shop - Davidson Machine turned and drilled a few hubs for me and did a solid job. Fisk also comes highly recommended.
Cryo treating - ...
Tranny shop - Holt Transmission in Summerville
Gear, suspension shop - Holt Transmission in Summerville
Body shop - John Bewersdorf is amazing - and astonishingly backed up.
Shop with immersion tanks for stripping and treating/coating - ...

In general, if you're willing to spend the time to take the vehicle up to Marshall at Trollhole, that's your best bet. Glenn at LexTech is no longer interested in working with any LC's prior to 1998. The only shop that is really willing to take on any of our older trucks is McIntosh Imports in Mt Pleasant. I've heard good things about them but I have not used them... Yet...

I’m using Marshall at @Trollhole (Greenville, SC) for my replacement engine rebuild. There are various shops in Charleston, but I’m not sure their capabilities.

David @dbenke may be able to assist / provide ideas. Maybe @CharlestonG8R can also.
Lex Tech - phenomenal skills, but prefers to work on late model vehicles
Simmons Balancing used to be my dads shop of choice.... in the 60s.
PT Transmission on Rivers has done work on Fords/Chevy for me.

Welcome to the area....
Thank you for the info and help. I have been using Lex Tech for the 200 and Taco since moving to Charleston. They were pretty easy to find on Mud.
Engine builders - This is going to depend on what exactly you are looking to do. Since I'm rolling pretty much stock, I take my 40 and 80 up to see Marshall as we have established a good relationship. If you're looking to do something aftermarket, you could still go to him, of course, but there are others in town that you could go to. If you're on Facebook, there are a few local groups that you could join.
Machine shop - Davidson Machine turned and drilled a few hubs for me and did a solid job. Fisk also comes highly recommended.
Cryo treating - ...
Tranny shop - Holt Transmission in Summerville
Gear, suspension shop - Holt Transmission in Summerville
Body shop - John Bewersdorf is amazing - and astonishingly backed up.
Shop with immersion tanks for stripping and treating/coating - ...

In general, if you're willing to spend the time to take the vehicle up to Marshall at Trollhole, that's your best bet. Glenn at LexTech is no longer interested in working with any LC's prior to 1998. The only shop that is really willing to take on any of our older trucks is McIntosh Imports in Mt Pleasant. I've heard good things about them but I have not used them... Yet...
Thanks for the info and a second Trollhole recommendation. I will look into them a little more as well as McIntosh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom