Local FJ60s (Oregon) reprazent at FJCruiser cruise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man, I really need to finish my transmission! My cruiser hasn't moved since the 2nd week of November and I'm still having withdrawl symptoms everytime I see one on the road!

Just need to order the valve body from Rodney and go through the transfer case.

I hope to have it done by mid June.

Where the heck is there to "wheel" around there that is anything more than a logging road? Pretty country but it doesn't seem to have a whole lot of "off road" opportunity. ???

Mark...

Where the heck is there to "wheel" around there that is anything more than a logging road? Pretty country but it doesn't seem to have a whole lot of "off road" opportunity. ???

Mark...

I'm guessing just based off the amount of "pretty" vehicles going that there won't really be any REAL wheeling. I'm just looking forward to getting out, hanging out with some cruiser folk and having fun/taking pictures.

Maybe next month we can have a group outting involving some real wheeling! :cheers:

If you come up from Detroit there are some fun power line trails that have wheeling. The Fish Lake trail that ends at the road heading into Olallie is a good 2-3 difficulty run but this time of year there is still snow too deep and wet up there to get anywhere.

I'm not sure where they are getting their run info, other than topos, but you can't get to Mt. Beachie via car- most of that area is closed off and it borders a wilderness area. There is easy access into Elk Lake now, but it is probably still snowed in.

Late June is better for a run into this area, at least to complete a circuit.

If you come up from Detroit there are some fun power line trails that have wheeling. The Fish Lake trail that ends at the road heading into Olallie is a good 2-3 difficulty run but this time of year there is still snow too deep and wet up there to get anywhere.

I'm not sure where they are getting their run info, other than topos, but you can't get to Mt. Beachie via car- most of that area is closed off and it borders a wilderness area. There is easy access into Elk Lake now, but it is probably still snowed in.

Late June is better for a run into this area, at least to complete a circuit.

Esh, you're alive... havent seen you on the boards in awhile.

Mark...

Don't rub it in Mark. Just because we don't get lost for 2 weeks in thousands of square miles of track less land doesn't mean we don't or can't wheel.

Not rubbing anything in. Seriously wondering where you would go to off road in that area. I have family down there and have been up to Silver falls a couple of times. I just never saw anything that looked even remotely undeveloped, unfarmed or unroaded around there. Every time we go down my brother in law and I take off for a couple of days to get away and wander around a bit. Generally over toward the east side of the state. But I've never found anywhere down there to get off of the roads. We've gotten back into some beautiful country but it seems that you're always on roads. Fire service roads or logging roads. Over toward the western side it seems that most of those are gated too. :(

Mark...

... but it seems that you're always on roads. Fire service roads or logging roads....

I think the reality of 4wheeling in the lower 48 is that you drive on roads. Some are less maintained, some are not maintained at all...but "off-roading" is rapidly becoming unavailable. From my perspective in the pacific NW, we have lots of interesting "roads" many of which have no maintance and are therefore interesting to drive...but more and more these are gated.

Hence the interest in 4wheeling in Alaska...

Yeah, I'd definitely be building different types of rigs if I was living down there rather than just visiting. Much more road friendly with less emphasis on getting the last few percent of off road capabilities out of whatever configuration the rig has.

I may actually build a rig just to use in the northwest and for taking highway runs down to Kalifornia or as far as Utah or whatrever. Keep it somewhere with my wife's family near Lebanon Or.

We just picked up a '93 FZJ80 with factory lockers. Planning on using it as a road bound daily driver for now. But my wife actually raised the idea of doing a mild build, replacing it with a newer one in a couple of years, and taking it south to keep down there for when we go to visit.

Mark...

The problem is that so much of our land is privately owned.

How far east did you go? There is some great unroaded areas in the extreme southeast, past Malheur and over in the Owyhee area on the Idaho and Nevada borders. Not expansive like your last frontier but...

I usually forget about maps and just let the Bro' in law pick the route and destination. Kinda just let myself be "lost" a little bit. He knows that area pretty well and has been poking around for work and for hunting for his whole life. We've been over to John Day and Burns and the area around there, but I don't think I've gone much further east with him.

Mark...

Not rubbing anything in. Seriously wondering where you would go to off road in that area. I have family down there and have been up to Silver falls a couple of times. I just never saw anything that looked even remotely undeveloped, unfarmed or unroaded around there. Every time we go down my brother in law and I take off for a couple of days to get away and wander around a bit. Generally over toward the east side of the state. But I've never found anywhere down there to get off of the roads. We've gotten back into some beautiful country but it seems that you're always on roads. Fire service roads or logging roads. Over toward the western side it seems that most of those are gated too. :(

Mark...

Access to "trackless" is pretty hard to come by around here unless you own ranch land in the central/eastern part of the state or have access to some. Plus the shear density of our forest growth coupled with the terrain in Western Oregon almost always ensures that any off road travel will be on some sort of hewn track, public or private, maintained or not.

Although not experienced first hand, my understanding is that the south eastern corner of the state may offer up some of the type of off highway travel you are accustomed to, albeit in a much different fashion -- not as many moose to dodge but wild horses a plenty. :D

Most of the hard core "wheelers" tap into the various designated OHV sites around the state, usually which are situated and managed within the state forest system and require a permit to access.

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom