Local Diesel Prices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Amazing to see how a mere 230 years ago Americans felt the same way as we do now. So they stood up and thumbed there noses to England which started a war. Americans were victorious and alast, free. Free from excessive taxation, over rule,etc. And here we are again. Probably worse off now then when we were ruled by a King. And for the record, we(Americans that is) are not a Democracy. But rather suppost to be a Republic. But hey, none us this is going to get my lancruiser finished so off to the shop i go for some more sandblasting.

I say it's time to really go with the bio-diesel from otherwise useless bio-mass NOT food stuffs.

Algae.. said it before and I'll say it again. Algae blows all other feed stock crops out of the water in terms of oil yield per crop.

That said, can't find my last fill up receipt, but I remember it was about $72 for the tank - somewhere in the $4/gal range Nor Cali.

Seriously, Biodiesel. Even though the pricing is going to be on-par if not more expensive than dino-diesel for a variety of crappy reasons it's still worth doing just to prevent the money from getting funneled back into the petroleum complex.

Saw a Safeway delivery rig the other day that had a big fat "Powered by biodiesel" sticker on it. No way to know what blend they are running, could be b10 just to say they are doing it for marketing purposes, or could be b99-b100. Given all of their big distribution centers in Stockton and Tracy (and access to their own waste oil from in-store deli fryers) it totally makes sense for them to go that route.

Short-haul trucking, construction equipment, towing companies, school bus fleets. So many opportunities to get BioD into the industrial/commercial sectors. Start there, start making a dent. Consumer availability will follow and we won't have seek out the 1 place in the area that actually sells it.

Personally, I'm fine with it being expensive, I just don't want it to be based on foreign petroleum any more.

Governments do lots of things that are morally and ethically wrong.

So??

People can complain all they want about high fuel prices and government policy, and it won't change anything.

I know you are just as angry as I am, and that you understand unfocused anger is useless. Consumer anger may not do much, but consumer activism can have an effect:

1) keep posting fuel prices online so that fellow consumers will avoid the gougers.

2) start driving at the minimum permissible speed on the highway. Truckers have been doing it, it's not going to get any better.

3) Fill up in $5 increments using your credit card at the fuel station. Credit card purchases cost a lot and generate a lot of paperwork. That puts pressure on the retailer, which puts pressure on the oil companies that set the prices.

Seriously, Biodiesel. Even though the pricing is going to be on-par if not more expensive than dino-diesel for a variety of crappy reasons it's still worth doing just to prevent the money from getting funneled back into the petroleum complex.

[...]

Personally, I'm fine with it being expensive, I just don't want it to be based on foreign petroleum any more.

100% with you, as long as its produced from recycled waste and biomass. I cannot condone feeding cars when people go hungry. It's just plain wrong!

Governments do lots of things that are morally and ethically wrong.

So??

People can complain all they want about high fuel prices and government policy, and it won't change anything.

Things maybe run differently up here, anyhow the thinking is the same. Cut down on fuel taxe and consequently cut down on road repairs budget, but keep public transport in good shape.....somehow...

$4.50 USD/gal for B99 here in Coa$tal Northern Cali.

I will 2nd folks' comments on the biofuel-food problem. Experts are giving warnings that this could turn into a really bad problem: famine, unrest etc. The biodiesel I buy is all waste oil derived.

RE: fuel prices. I would argue we don't have so much a tax problem (in Cali I think it's like $.35/gal or something? for state and fed. taxes) as a market problem. To this end, raising fuel efficiency standards via the political process and driving less are two concrete things that will reduce demand, save you money in the short run, and lower prices eventually. The problem is getting enough people to do it (difficult with a culture of macho vanity that puts value on engine power over everything else).

B

Last edited:
The "Biofuels Take Food From Our Mouths" argument is based on fallacy. Most of the two common N.American biofuel feedstocks, corn and soybeans, are grown for animals to feed the industrial meat business producing pork, poultry and beef. Processing these feedstocks to extract sugars or oils to make biofuels, makes the byproduct 'seed cake' and 'spent mash' more digestible as animal feed. Thus the animals get more nutrition from the byproduct than the original feedstock, and less is crapped out as waste. We can get food and fuel from the same crop.

Granted that the feedstock grains and legumes could be exported to feed the starving millions instead of being used to feed meat animals. But that practice has been going on for decades, is not likely to change, and is totally external to the biofuels issue.

The world's poor are not starving because of biofuels but rather due to a variety of causes including local corruption which 're-directs' food aid, and the fact that 50% of the world's population no longer lives in rural areas where they fed themselves, but now live in sprawling mega slums where food has to be shipped in at ever increasing transportation costs due to rising petroleum prices.

Last edited:
Algae.. said it before and I'll say it again. Algae blows all other feed stock crops out of the water in terms of oil yield per crop.

Algae is best for diesel as you can grow it where other things won't grow so you do not affect the rapidly rising food costs. Those food cost increases have very real and present danger attached here in the developing world. Already the Haitian PM has been ousted because of that and it WILL get worse, MUCH worse! Ethanol is only going to add to the problems NOT help anything as it is a derivative of grain.

No more dependance on Muslim oil means they won't have as much reason or more importantly, money to turn against us with. Wouldn't it be nice to thumb your nose at Chavez and the Muslim world when they try to sell oil and we don't need to buy it.

Here in Guatemala diesel has reached the $4/US gallon mark at Q30. Less than a year ago it was Q23 or less.

If and when algal oil moves out of the research lab into commercial production it might provide some alternative to petroleum, but not to meet the enormous demand for fuel in N.America. Fuel from oil sands and coal are the future, however as long as the MidEast fields keep producing imported oil appears to be cheaper.

As cool as bio fuels are, especially when produced from algae in deserts, they are never going to be as cheap as current oil prices. All you have to do to get oil is drill a hole. It's all reap and no sow. When oil reaches $250/ barrel in three or four years, the alternatives will really take off.

There will always be places where fuel is cheaper or more expensive than where you are. So what's the point of posting prices every time fuel goes up?

4.10$ A gallon in San Antonio :( so much 4 the 4BT swap

in Romania, 1.84$/litre. medium salary: 500$/month. nice.

in Romania, 1.84$/litre. medium salary: 500$/month. nice.
That is awful, considering your country is one of the premier european oil producers (or at least was a few years ago) :(

I paid a 1.29 a liter for the CDM spec 3B yesterday the bill cam to 106.00 for just under 90 liters freakin rediculous....

I was noticing the other day how many domestic cars in my area have stickers that say "Out of a job yet? keep buying foreign" I was thinking to myself my corolla and my gf's sentra were both made in Canada. So shouldn't we all have stickers that say "My foreign car was made in canada, where was your domestic built?
Or out of a job yet, keep buying foreign crap from malwart and cars and trucks from mehico...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom