Local 12ht for sale. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mongoose2231

Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I have a chance to purchase a low mile 12ht, mileage not really verifyable, but looks and presents really clean. It's a combo, tranny and tcase and all. I think price is right but wanted some insight. Engine is on eBay. Anyone want to opinionize ? I'd appeciate it.

I think we either need a link to the engine or at least the price to offer any useful opinions... otherwise we'll just continue the usual droolfest over the bombproof rarity (in North America) that is the 12HT.

Anyone want to opinionize ? I'd appeciate it.

Who can tell from an ebay description? Might be a bargain, might need a rebuild. The fuel pump alone could cost $1500-2000 if it needs work.
Is there any guarantee from the seller regarding compression, condition?.
I got a pic of a 12HT in my files somewhere and it looks great, but it has 525000klms on it.
If you walk away you will still have your money in your pocket.

OK, so here is the eBay link.
Toyota Landcruiser 12HT motor and transmission | eBay
I have been communicating with the seller and I asked if I could witness a compression test. He said that the motor would have to be installed in a rig of sorts, in order to start it. I have seen people start engines on the ground but his mechanic advises against it. He said I'd be more than welcome to test it myself. Any how, one more thing is that i think the engine is a 12v. He doesn't know but the alternator has a 12 stamped on it. My current truck is a 24v with the 2h that I have turboed. I wanted to purchase this engine to have as backup for when mine gives up the ghost, even though I have fully rebuilt my engine about 10k miles ago. I don't suspect there is much of an issue going from 24 to 12v, aside from replacing bulbs and what not everywhere and connecting the batteries in parallel rather than in series. Has anyone ever gone from 24v to 12v?

Has anyone ever gone from 24v to 12v?

Its quite easy on a 1HZ or 1HD T but most people go from 24v to 12v. But I cant see any problems going 12v to 24v on a 12HT except finding a 24V VSV that helps the engine shut down.

Its my understanding the 12HT VSV is no longer available. Can you can use one from another engine?
Some of these solenoids have shown they will work on 12V and 24v no problems.

confirmed that it is a 24v motor. it would be a bolt on into my 24v 2h powered truck.

Tell him your intention is to buy the engine but if it fails to reach an agreed standard of compression once installed, you want to negotiate. Maybe ask him to pay for a rebuild kit from Engine Australia, approx $1100USD.
As a rebuildable engine, they are still worth a few thousand for a complete unit.
The JAPANESE engine importers in Australia usually give you a 3 month warranty on an engine at that price.
He is most likely making a good profit on this, so he has some wiggle room I think.

he is including his receipt with what he paid for it and course the tranny and t case is included in the deal as well. he is not an importer, just a fella who bought it from an importer and looking to go in a different direction when it comes to his cars and projects. we did agree on a compression test as a deal maker or breaker

It is available and in stock.

Lazy Australian dealers say different. They only seem interested in LC that are under 15 years old. One of them told me they don't have any 60 series parts anymore.

was not a aussie dealer rosco i think your right there the dealers do not stock in aus of much 12ht 60 series. I want to my local dealership could not even supply me heater hoses.

Yes, but if you have a 75 series regardless of age they will help. I think the dealers get sick of trying to compete with aftermarket parts in Australia because they are so cheap and Toyota Australia is so expensive. You can buy parts from the Saudi dealers delivered for 2/3 the Australian price. So I do;)

There was a good guy at Morley Toyota and another at Scarborough Toyota who were more helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom