Loal HAM radio resource - Specialty Communications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello HAM operators,

There is a great local resource for all things HAM radio right here in ABQ, specialty-home. This place is down the street from my work so I poked in there one day and met the president, Paul Choc. Paul just happens to be the "father of Megalink" NM5ML. Dan S. and I met Paul at Elk Mountain repeater site last year on a camping trip.

Anyway, Lynn and I popped in there today and one of their techs came out and helped Lynn with an antenna, mount and tuning. They sell single and dual band antennas, mounts, coax and only Kenwood commercial radios (can be used as HAM radios too). I bought a single band whip antenna, similar to the LM150B larsen antenna for about $30. Talking to Paul, it sounds like he is moving from the Kenwood HAM radios to Yaesu 8800 radios for his personal use.

Anyway, just passing on the info.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to take the test for the Ham technician license next week. Still looking for a Yaesu ft 8800R.

Good find!

I really like being able to drive into HRO in Denver to put my hands on stuff. Very glad to know there's one in Albuquerque too, it would have saved me some funny looks from the TSA as I send my bags through the X-ray with an NMO setup and two antennas a few months ago.

Dan

Just to clarify, these guys are a commercial radio shop, so they don't have bunch of HAM radios on their shelf. In fact, they get their personal HAM radios from HRO as well! But, they have all the other stuff and a wealth of knowledge that we can tap into. Unlike Mesa CB radio shop, this place is smoke free :bounce: You won't come out smelling like an ashtray!

Do they fix radios?

I've never been impressed by Mesa either. They fed me a bunch of BS when I went in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom