LJ79 suspension popping noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, so I have this annoying popping/clunking noise that happens when the suspension is working offroad and it also happens randomly on the street (just not as loud) when the vehicle weight shifts say like when braking or turning. I think its my springs that are doing this, and I've noticed that my rear coil seats/insulators (between coil & coil perch) are totally shot, so I'm thinking that might be the cause. Any similar experiences ? Thanks 🙂

Do you still run sway bars? Mine made clunking noise due to worn parts. Since removed.

Radius arm bushings, Panhard bushings, sway bar bushings, shock bushings and ya coil springs isolators but you’re coils should not be unseating unless you have really long shocks. Even then the Prado radius arm suspension generally won’t droop enough to unseat a coil which would cause the clunk.

Steering can also cause a clunk, check it for slop. Wheel bearings and trunnion bearings are next to check. Driveline is another source of clunks if badly worn.

Cheers

Radius arm bushings, Panhard bushings, sway bar bushings, shock bushings and ya coil springs isolators but you’re coils should not be unseating unless you have really long shocks. Even then the Prado radius arm suspension generally won’t droop enough to unseat a coil which would cause the clunk.

Steering can also cause a clunk, check it for slop. Wheel bearings and trunnion bearings are next to check. Driveline is another source of clunks if badly worn.

Cheers

Its not really a clunking noise, more like a popping/bell ring kinda noise, don't really know how to explain it... And most of the bushes you mentioned are all new and the rest not much older. And everything seems good and firm, apart from the insulators.

Hi guys, so I have this annoying popping/clunking noise that happens when the suspension is working offroad

I doubt its your suspension. The popping noise comes from worn door hinges. To test, open door, place hand under the bottom of the door and lift upwards. If you feel slack, its the door. The drivers door always goes first because it gets opened more often. You must replace both hinges.
The popping sound is the door moving around against the door frame as the body flexes.

You can also open the door and drive slowly over rough ground. The noise should disappear with the door open.

I doubt its your suspension. The popping noise comes from worn door hinges. To test, open door, place hand under the bottom of the door and lift upwards. If you feel slack, its the door. The drivers door always goes first because it gets opened more often. You must replace both hinges.
The popping sound is the door moving around against the door frame as the body flexes.

You can also open the door and drive slowly over rough ground. The noise should disappear with the door open.

I had a friend walk beside me while going up a rough hill where the vehicle constantly articulates cross axled... He confirmed the noise is coming from underneath the car, specifically the rear. But I will check the doors anyway.

Might be the rear doors.

Problem solved! It was the trailing & leading arms bolts not tight enough and slipping. Torqued them up and voila 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom