LJ78 Transfer Case Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question - how easy is it to remove the LJ78 transfer case on an automatic?

Can the case be removed as one single unit?

I have seen a YouTube video where the guy ended up removing the front section of the case, including the gears in order to remove the case.

The FSM instructions seems to indicate the case is already removed.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

In order to remove the transfer case you need to disassemble it, that is why it's been nicknamed "split case". It can't be removed as a whole unit.

Malteser is correct. A mechanic friend told me the easy way is to just remove the trans & transfer as one unit then disassemble further with it out so I've done that both times I've needed to remove it.

The reasoning is that by the time you have everything disconnected from the transfer case it is very little extra work to unbolt the trans from the motor etc, then it makes it hugely easier to work on the t-case with it out & standing on end, particularly keeping all the shafts in line as you re-assemble. This does depend on having some sort of trans jack or jack adapter bracket to easily maneuver the large heavy trans/transfer combo & a hoist or tall enough jacks to get the truck high enough that you can roll the whole mess out the side.

Cheers
Clint

Malteser is correct. A mechanic friend told me the easy way is to just remove the trans & transfer as one unit then disassemble further with it out so I've done that both times I've needed to remove it.

The reasoning is that by the time you have everything disconnected from the transfer case it is very little extra work to unbolt the trans from the motor etc, then it makes it hugely easier to work on the t-case with it out & standing on end, particularly keeping all the shafts in line as you re-assemble. This does depend on having some sort of trans jack or jack adapter bracket to easily maneuver the large heavy trans/transfer combo & a hoist or tall enough jacks to get the truck high enough that you can roll the whole mess out the side.

Cheers
Clint
Thanks Clint. Appreciate the feedback.

Quick question - how easy is it to remove the LJ78 transfer case on an automatic?

Can the case be removed as one single unit?

I have seen a YouTube video where the guy ended up removing the front section of the case, including the gears in order to remove the case.

The FSM instructions seems to indicate the case is already removed.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Why do you want to do this?

Why do you want to do this?
Hi @GTSSportCoupe

When the front and rear prop shafts were removed, we turned the front shaft on the transfer case by hand and it almost feels like it is missing gear teeth. I will be able to drive with the truck next week once I get the injectors back and put it in H4 for further testing. It just feels a bit strange. No shaving in the oils when drained, so that is a good start.

Quickly jumping back to this old post of mine.

Over the weekend I ended up using H4, but seem to still have a few issues to work through regarding the transfer case.

My transfer case front shaft seems to be making a bit of noise when jacked up and hubs locked. There is also a bit of play when moving the shaft in and out. Up and down seems to be okay.

Question - Should the front shaft be making a noise when hubs are locked and jacked up?

Question - How easy is it to rebuild a transfer case - A343F? All feedback appreciated :)

There definitely shouldn't be noise. Sounds like your front output shaft bearings are worn and/or have incorrect preload. My front output shaft had two pitted bearings when I got my LJ78, at first I thought the grinding noise I was hearing was the transmission, but when I started to tear things down I discovered the bearing damage.
IMG_0314.jpeg

Rebuilding the split case is pretty straightforward, just follow the steps in the manual. You'll need access to a shop press for a couple of the bearings, and a little, beam-style torque wrench is useful for setting the bearing preload (mine reads 0-80 in-lbs). The transfer case is the same for both manual and automatic applications, and was used from the '80's through the 2000's on 40, 60 and 70 series Cruisers, so there is a lot of info and good parts availability.
IMG_0418.jpeg

Attachments

• transfer box.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
That looks like the correct manual, yes. The info that Cruiserteq provides is correct for US market vehicles, but doesn’t apply to other markets. In the US we never got a split case behind an A343f, but the rest of the world did, so depending on the source of your A343f manual it may not be entirely correct for your application either.

That looks like the correct manual, yes. The info that Cruiserteq provides is correct for US market vehicles, but doesn’t apply to other markets. In the US we never got a split case behind an A343f, but the rest of the world did, so depending on the source of your A343f manual it may not be entirely correct for your application either.
Thanks @AirheadNut

Mine was imported from Japan - Q-LJ78G-PGT

Having had a look at the megazip diagrams, it seems the transmission shaft will allow the case to be pulled out (or I hope so :) )

Thank you for the feedback! Greatly appreciated.

The reason the transfer case has to be removed from the transmission in parts is because the bolts that attach the front half of the transfer to the transmission are physically inside the transfer case. Looking at the parts diagrams it would appear that the transfer adapter could possibly be unbolted from the transmission and allow the entire transfer case to be removed as a unit, but I really don't know; I never dug that deep into my LJ78 automatic when I had it.

The reason the transfer case has to be removed from the transmission in parts is because the bolts that attach the front half of the transfer to the transmission are physically inside the transfer case. Looking at the parts diagrams it would appear that the transfer adapter could possibly be unbolted from the transmission and allow the entire transfer case to be removed as a unit, but I really don't know; I never dug that deep into my LJ78 automatic when I had it.
Thank you @AirheadNut

I spoke to a few people in NZ, and it seems to be a single unit that is detachable.

Will do a post on this when ready to be removed :)

Cool! In that case the A343f in the LJ and KZJ might be the only application where a split case is removable as a complete unit. Would definitely make the rebuild easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom