LJ78 to 1kzte

So I have a LJ78 with A343F trans and my wife cooked the engine (drove it overheating until it stopped) it’s not all bad as I have planning an engine swap for a while and now she is on board with it!

im thinking of going down the 1kz route as I want to keep it diesel and Auto.

i have been advised to go with a Manual pump and aftermarket gearbox controller (I’m thinking Compushift)

nearly all the donor trucks I can find are 1kzte… has any swapped a 2lte with a 1kzte?

Iv Heard the injectior pumps are nearly the same, could I just swap the engine and keep the factory ECU and gearbox management?

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
I'm pretty sure 1KZTE electronic version has been installed in place of the 2LTE. Maybe do some googling to see if you can find an example build thread where this has been done.

Advantage of the electronic motors is the variable injection timing. Makes for more efficiency, power, and easier on the motor (retards when intake temps are hot etc.). I've owned both 2LTE and 2LT-II, and the electronic version blew away the mechanical one.

I'd highly recommend getting a 1KTE from a KZJ78 with wiring harness, ECU, and everything you can from the engine bay. This should make it a pretty direct install besides different engine mounts and exhaust.

Have a look at the electrical manuals to determine the exact differences: Found Japanese 1990-1995 70 series wiring manuals! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/found-japanese-1990-1995-70-series-wiring-manuals.959266/

I'm pretty sure 1KZTE electronic version has been installed in place of the 2LTE. Maybe do some googling to see if you can find an example build thread where this has been done.

Advantage of the electronic motors is the variable injection timing. Makes for more efficiency, power, and easier on the motor (retards when intake temps are hot etc.). I've owned both 2LTE and 2LT-II, and the electronic version blew away the mechanical one.

I'd highly recommend getting a 1KTE from a KZJ78 with wiring harness, ECU, and everything you can from the engine bay. This should make it a pretty direct install besides different engine mounts and exhaust.

Have a look at the electrical manuals to determine the exact differences: Found Japanese 1990-1995 70 series wiring manuals! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/found-japanese-1990-1995-70-series-wiring-manuals.959266/
Thanks for the info, I have done quite a bit of searching but most people are looking to ditch the auto gearbox but I planning to keep it.

i would love you use the KZTE from a KZJ78 but that’s not really an option, they are super rare here and parts are not easy to come by so I will likely use the 1KZTE from a hilux surf.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Thanks for the info, I have done quite a bit of searching but most people are looking to ditch the auto gearbox but I planning to keep it.

i would love you use the KZTE from a KZJ78 but that’s not really an option, they are super rare here and parts are not easy to come by so I will likely use the 1KZTE from a hilux surf.

The Surf 1KZTE wiring loom is probably close enough it could be made to work in the LJ78 ok. The motors are very close, but I'm not sure the 2LTE ECU would run the 1KZTE that well. Would be interesting to know though - as I was thinking of installing a 1KZTE injection pump to my 2LTE for more max fuel ability (12mm pump vs 10mm).

There are a couple of ECD V3 manuals from Denso out there that explain in detail the operation of the two motors ECD systems. If you had a read through it would probably help you understand exactly what needs to be done. Between those and the LJ78/KZJ78 manuals that is.

Here's the earlier ECD V3 manual:
Here's the later ECD V3 manual:

Thank for the help and the Manuals it will make some good bed time reading. So looking at it I have a couple of options

1.try the 1kzte with my LJ78 management (engine and gearbox)

2. Fit the engine and loom from the surf into my LJ78 then manage the gearbox by:
a. Using the surf gearbox management
b. Using an aftermarket controller

3. put an manual pump on the 1kzte (either a 1kzt or 4m40) and run an aftermarket controller.

I suppose I can just try it in that order, I will have the whole vehicle to pull the loom and management from so I can get everything I need.

I’m not looking for loads of power, but if a can keep the 1kzt management that would be great. It’s currently sitting on 35” landdragons, but I do have the 4.88 ratio diffs so it should hopefully pull ok.

Lots of 90 series Prados use the 1KZTE, I thought they were common in the UK
Hi, yeah 90 series prados are no issue to find in the UK little more money than a hilux surf, but the sump isn’t ideal on a 90 series because it hits the front axle. So easier to use the surf engine, sump has slightly less capacity than a KZJ70/78 but it’s workable.
Getting the engine is easy, the main head ache is the auto trans as every thread I read is either unfinished or they have swapped out to a manual gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom