Lj78 stereo install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After having looked at most of the posts here about installing aftermarket HU in their LCs I see no mention of an adapter for the 14 pin plug at the HU location. I have an ATOTO Android HU that I have used in several other Toyota’s the last one being a 96 Hilux Surf and had zero issues installing or finding proper adapter harnesses. This one is different, the factory HU was no longer in it at purchase but all the other components of the factory amplified 5 speaker system were. I removed the changer unit and associated wiring and located the amps. I don’t intend to use the factory amps so I will bypass them but I can’t seem to find an adapter ( the male portion) for this plug.
I don’t have an issue if I have to rewire everything but trying to keep it clean and simple. I have searched quite extensively but maybe I’m not asking the right question so if anyone can help this would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Follow up: Two things seem to be different from others experience with my install, there were two amplifiers, both behind the left rear panel, there was not one in the glovebox area. Next the Metra harness that others have used to bypass at least one of these amplifiers will not work as you will see in the pics. The main connector in (or out) is also a 14 pin and the other two (harness side) is where the Metra harnesses will plug in but then what, only a portion of that Metra harness is for speakers. Then there is the other (not sure if it’s even an amp) piece that only has one connection and only the larger of the two Metra connectors will plug into the harness for that unit.
The first pic is the main connector by the HU, all others are in the back passenger.

B7F3E935-F73D-46CA-A297-2203C4C5AE4C.jpeg

D7F0EACE-E1F6-482C-9814-D8894A7B1BD0.jpeg

409CD248-64D2-47F1-A509-FD4CB929599C.jpeg

2B455591-6AB4-400F-AF80-BA89002AA36E.jpeg

Last edited:
I drove myself crazy trying to use the original wiring harnesses for my aftermarket stereo and amplifier. Allow me to save you a bunch of time and headaches: Just run your own power, speaker, and amp cables. The stock sound system in the Prados appears to be unique to this vehicle and nobody ever made adapters for it. I couldn't even find a pinout diagram for the connectors. It's just not worth the effort.

I will say this: There are two sets of head unit connectors in the dash. The one you show in your photo is used for the paired single-DIN radio/CD player combo. If you dig around in the dash a little, you'll find a second set of connectors that match your Metra adapter. I just used them to pull constant and switched power, though.

Here are the factory schematics. When I installed my stereo I did use some of the factory wiring, but not all.

In particular, this is the part you need to look at:

LJ78_Stereo.jpg

LJ78_Stereo_Conn.jpg

Thank You both for your replies, this is such a great site for those of us new to the LC community. I had pretty much come to the same conclusion after researching this a little more that a few Prado years in the a Japanese market had different stereo options and not a lot of documentation to support it. Even the Japanese are stumped by it. So I will be running my own wiring, fortunately these are very easy vehicles to this on as everything is easy ( for the most part) to access. Thank you for the diagram as well. I have a manual but mine seemed to only have the base wiring for this model. I have already isolated the power, acc, etc. items I need for this as I did find a diagram for a pin out. I plan on just using one of the connectors from the amps and rewire it to adapt to my HU harness connector for easier removal if necessary. I will take a few pics and post them as I go. Here are pics of the one adapter I did find with pin out.

C3EB836B-1DE5-4528-A5C3-129FBA130FE8.jpeg

0D91B0EC-33BA-4DE3-90DC-C6ADC8B224CD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom