lj78 retrofit radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone found a radiator swap to replace the stock not sufficient rad .Just wondering I am going to pull the rad as there is a leak in the top tank and if need be I will see about increasing the stock capacity but if I can recore an allready larger rad I think that would be the ticket . Also I will remove the trans cooler at the same time and run a seperate trans cooler to take more heat away from the engine rad thanks Russell

I'm with you my rad needs to be fixed or replaced I'm looking for some advice with this as well.

one thing that I've come across is be careful with separating the rad and the tranny cooler in colder climates.

I'm with you my rad needs to be fixed or replaced I'm looking for some advice with this as well.

one thing that I've come across is be careful with separating the rad and the tranny cooler in colder climates.

X2

I have no doubt that the rads on our trucks are too small, mine still overheats when under load up long hills even with the 3L head (and my rad isn't leaking) however my turbo is leaking (oil) so that is what I am working right now.

I've already got the trans cooler I am going to use, but haven't sourced the rad yet - I was thinking of an aluminum one.

I have no experience with aluminum rads, but one thing I've noticed and heard about is that aluminum doesn't bend well, it cracks, and its more brittle, and if your taking your rig off road I think I would research it alot more if your going to run aluminum.

Where I've noticed it is headache racks on the back of pickups, they seem to crack right at the weld, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it makes more sense to run a more malable metal for such a crucial component. I think the vibration alone over time would make these rads fail.

Your right the transmission needs a little heat in the winter My plan is to tee the lines with small valves to run oil through rad in colder times of the year But no matter what I do I am going to increase cooling capacity . then it's time to hunt for a good intercooler. the bad thing is timing I don.t put the forty back on the road till may and thats when the prado would be sitting oh well. Russell Ps my turbo leaks to

Hey guys. Save some money, just get the rad re cored But add an extra row or two if you can.
I added one row and it made all the difference to my truck. Granted there are still other things to do to keep it from over heating..
Like non water based coolants.. Ever hear of Evans Coolants?
Check em out..
Regards

I'd also like to know where to buy Evan's coolant.

HI Russell, good of you to come around the shop today and trade ideas on what may make a 2LTE survive a lot longer.

I know Crushers went down this road with no luck of solving the short head life.

You came up with some other good ideas of possible linked causes for failure, one was the overfueling of the eltronica fuel pump?

Intercooling the engine was another idea?

Wonder if a 3L mechanical pump will fit on the 2lte or is there some way to adjust the fuel?

Another question we were talking about is the 3L block exactly like the 2lt block with a little longer stroke and slightly different head??

Lots of questions I do not have answers for.

Rob

Rob... do you have any thoughts on this evans coolant??
Also, Richard... about how much did that rad work set you back?? Thats seems like a good fix as well -
how much would a larger exhaust help? I have heard the engine temps dropping around 150 deg. depending on the type... cheap to do as well...

No feedback on that product from me, looking forward to hearing some tho...

Rob... do you have any thoughts on this evans coolant??
Also, Richard... about how much did that rad work set you back?? Thats seems like a good fix as well -
how much would a larger exhaust help? I have heard the engine temps dropping around 150 deg. depending on the type... cheap to do as well...

Woow that rad work was about June 06
And was close to $750.00 if I'm remembering correctly. That also included pulling it out and putting it back in with coolant
I figured if I just recored it It was already the right size to fit back in and that it would be just a bit thicker with the extra core.

Regards

Hi Rob & john having you guys close is sure good for guys like me who are trying to learn about these diesels . I started building a wet intercooler and I had an idea to use an auxiliary buss style heater as the rad as it comes as one unit fan and all I realize I will have to inline a rad cap any thoughts ? or anyone tried this ? thanks Russell

You do some nice work Russell and thanks for the kind words.

You should shoot up a pic of your newly fabricated front bumper for the boys.

Also your idea for the intercooler on a budget is a great idea.

Rob

Hi Rob & john having you guys close is sure good for guys like me who are trying to learn about these diesels . I started building a wet intercooler and I had an idea to use an auxiliary buss style heater as the rad as it comes as one unit fan and all I realize I will have to inline a rad cap any thoughts ? or anyone tried this ? thanks Russell

Hi guys,
Sorry to hijack, but I still see people ask how to save the 2lte, it can be done, I bought my prado a couple of years ago, it came with the 3l head, 4core rad, egr blocked off, disconnect the breather that blows oil into the turbo. Rout it so it goes down the block. I have put 120,000 hard kms on it , There are many owners that have success, unfortunately I dont have it anymore it was stolen. The most important thing is to bleed all the air out when doing coolent change, and keep the revs up if you decide to go mechanical use the 2lt ip

prato t
Do you have a picture of the breather that blows oil into the turbo ?
I'd like to have a look at mine.
But not sure which hose.
Regards

Do you have a picture of the breather that blows oil into the turbo ?
I'd like to have a look at mine.
But not sure which hose.
Regards[/QUOTE]

Yes that would be very nice to see, also.... I would like to address the EGR but I am having some trouble finding out just how to do this... where it is etc.

Help?!:confused: (as usual!!)

Last edited:
I put in a 2.5 inch exhaust for about $1100. It decreased my highest EGT's from 1350 to 1250. Increasing boost to 14 psi drops them again to 1100 to 1150 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom