Lj78- great car small problem with the 2l-te (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
16B5D63B-1E45-490F-87FB-66C8D213F8F7.jpeg
Hey all, long time peruser of the forums but a first time poster. I bought a Prado back when I was in the service about a year ago out in Japan, and she ran great but I’m running into an issue now.

42C5534B-02A2-4FB9-9BDC-B372D1E60C60.jpeg

it looks like the crankshaft pulleyis moving in and out ever so slowly causing a nasty screech when it pushes up against the other pulley. I’m not sure how to upload a video of it but the movement is slight. Anybody seen something like this or no what the issue might be? Any help would be awesome!!

Hey all, long time peruser of the forums but a first time poster. I bought a Prado back when I was in the service about a year ago out in Japan, and she ran great but I’m running into an issue now.

it looks like the crankshaft pulleyis moving in and out ever so slowly causing a nasty screech when it pushes up against the other pulley. I’m not sure how to upload a video of it but the movement is slight. Anybody seen something like this or no what the issue might be? Any help would be awesome!!

So there are a couple things that can cause this sort of problem. One, someone not torqueing the crank pulley bolt well enough after doing the timing belt. This causes the key way to be damaged and ultimately can ruin both the pulley and crank-shaft. Two, the crank pulley can start seperating at the rubber, in which case you need to buy a new one. This happened to me and I bought a brand new OEM Toyota one.

Most important thing is DON'T run the engine anymore until you have this figured. If it's damaging the crank you're looking at $1000's of dollars in repairs.

Neither issues is a unique 2LTE one. Harmonic balancers (crank pulleys) do fail over time. Same thing happened to my friend's HDJ81 for example. And improper torqueing of a crank pulley bolt is a result of inadequate tools or laziness on the part of a mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom