LJ78 | Finding Water Leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been hunting a few water leaks over the last week, but one is still evading me, but think it is leaking through the engine bay (Firewall) and then through the seam.

The first leak came through old seem seal near the passengers side wall. painted with rust converter and pressed new seam seal through. See first photo attached.

The second leak seems to be coming from the seam between the fresh air intake / wiper arm bay and the firewall. My assumption is that water flows down the inside of the engine bay firewall and then slowly makes its way through the seam into the passenger cabin firewall side. Note - The fresh air intake vent is not leaking.

All drainage holes are open and checked when I had the side panels removed for respray.

Any thoughts on the second leak?

IMG_20220603_120101_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220603_120125_HDR.jpg

I have a KZJ78 but the bodies of these trucks are very comparable. All I can offer other than removing the old seam seals, prep and reseal is maybe you should (if you haven't already) also take look at the water channel running across the top of the firewall under the hood and verify it's functionality. There should be a rubber lip running over the edge of the channel, guiding water to the sides near the inner fender skirts. Dump a bottle of water in the middle simulating a heavy downpour and see if any water is running down the firewall.

I hate leaks of any kind, and yet I own an old cruiser 😂
I won't have it any other way!

Cheers!

I have a KZJ78 but the bodies of these trucks are very comparable. All I can offer other than removing the old seam seals, prep and reseal is maybe you should (if you haven't already) also take look at the water channel running across the top of the firewall under the hood and verify it's functionality. There should be a rubber lip running over the edge of the channel, guiding water to the sides near the inner fender skirts. Dump a bottle of water in the middle simulating a heavy downpour and see if any water is running down the firewall.

I hate leaks of any kind, and yet I own an old cruiser 😂
I won't have it any other way!

Cheers!
Thank you @Tigris

I did not yet refit the rubber after the respray :)

That should hopefully fix the issue.

Mine has leaked in two spots:

One from plugged sunroof drains. This is pretty obvious, as the headliner etc. gets wet. My rear sunroof drains are plugged, and I have not got around to figuring out how to access and clean them. I just park with truck front lower than back now if it's raining, lol.

Two, more subtle one, but might be what is happening for you. There were some cracked seams in the hood hinge area. I fixed with some new sealant, and problem solved.

Mine has leaked in two spots:

One from plugged sunroof drains. This is pretty obvious, as the headliner etc. gets wet. My rear sunroof drains are plugged, and I have not got around to figuring out how to access and clean them. I just park with truck front lower than back now if it's raining, lol.

Two, more subtle one, but might be what is happening for you. There were some cracked seams in the hood hinge area. I fixed with some new sealant, and problem solved.
Thanks @GTSSportCoupe

I have removed the passenger front side panel over the weekend and found that the water is leaking through the seam (panel near the door, just under the wiper arm / air intake tub), including a small rust hole down the panel. I have used seam sealer to plug the opening. I tried to fix it from inside, but no go.

Regarding your sun roof - There are 4 hoses - 2 front and 2 rear going out of the sun roof tub. The headliner has to be pulled down to get to the hoses in the rear. The rear hoses exit near the rear mud guards. Mine got clogged with dirt... When I did a full respray, I also replaced all 4 hoses. Bit of a mission to pull them through the panels :)

Thanks @GTSSportCoupe

I have removed the passenger front side panel over the weekend and found that the water is leaking through the seam (panel near the door, just under the wiper arm / air intake tub), including a small rust hole down the panel. I have used seam sealer to plug the opening. I tried to fix it from inside, but no go.

Regarding your sun roof - There are 4 hoses - 2 front and 2 rear going out of the sun roof tub. The headliner has to be pulled down to get to the hoses in the rear. The rear hoses exit near the rear mud guards. Mine got clogged with dirt... When I did a full respray, I also replaced all 4 hoses. Bit of a mission to pull them through the panels :)
Photo attached for reference.
img.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom