LJ78 Electric Hub Repair Okanagan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

One of my electric hubs is not engaging. Can someone hook me up with someone in the Okanagan that can take a look at the hubs and service/repair or replace them entirely?

I need someone that is competent with the hubs and won't damage the brushes.

And could someone explain to me how I've been driving with the Transfer stick in the 'N' position??? I didn't notice until today when I went to put it into 4X4. My understanding is that when i don't have the hubs an 4X4 buttons engaged, I should have the stick in H2.

Thanks in advance.

If you had your transfer case in N you would have got no drive at all... 2WD or 4WD.
That lever does High, N and Low.
When in Low it puts it into 4x4 if your hubs are engaged.
When in High, you put it in 4x4 when the hubs are engaged and you push the H4 button.

Have fun

kbushnz

Kbushnz,

Thanks for writing. The transfer case must have been stuck in High, because the shifter was infact in the "N" position and driving. After I played around with the shifter a bit, it's now operating as it should.

I still need someone to refer me to a mechanic that could work on my hubs and 4X4 system in the Okanagan, B.C. Anyone?

And I also need someone that could source me some parts for the hubs and possibly a rebuild.

The guys at Truckworks in Kelowna fabricated a new brush for me using a brush from a Honda. I'll see how it holds out over the summer.

They also installed my new suspension. They do pretty nice work and are really fair in their pricing.

Kelowna Truckworks

Can someone give me a complete sequence of operation rundown for my 1990 Prado?

I'd like "best practice" advice for engaging 4H and 4L.
I understand that I need the stick in 4H and then press Hub buttons, then 4H button.

Should I be engaging the 4H while in Park or Neutral?
Moving the stick from 4H to 4L, should I be in neutral?

Man, I need a manual for this truck :) Anyone have one?

Last edited:
Well I am not sure about best practice but this is what I do.

Engine running.
Transfer box should already be in H.(High Range)
Push hubs button. You can do this while moving upto 5 kph... Any faster the hubs light will flash.
You are still in 2WD High.
Then with auto in N, and stationary push the 4H button.
This will lock the front drive shaft in and now you are in 4WD High.

If you now want to go into Low Range, Auto in N and stationary, Move lever into L.
You are now In Low range.

The Auto doesn't like going into Low and back to High with the Auto in Park... If you try and big red light will come on in the center console. Or if moving too fast.....The gears will graunch (no syncro)

Now here's the kicker...

If you put the hubs on only...
And move lever into Low range.... It will automatically go into 4WD Low.
Move back to H and 4WD turns off.

Once you understand what each button does you can nut it out.

Hubs lock the wheel hubs.
H4 locks the front drive shaft.
Make sure the H4 button is not on all the time during 2WD driving as it will be driven and may cause damage as its just free spinning .

Have a play on some gravel roads and see how it reacts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom