LJ78 Dobinson sway bar extenders Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I extended my sway bars with a longer side mounted frame bracket from dobinson for the 80 series. Is yours side or bottom mount? I can take a photo of mine when I get home from work today if you have the side mount.

IMG_20180319_184525.jpg

So these are the dobinson extenders for the 80 series. The w
Holes aren't the same but I could drill a hole in a spot and use one of the other holes. Worked fine. They are hardened so drilling took some effort but it works just fine.

Fellas, need some help with swaybar 101 stuff. Had a great trip to Moab/Canyonlands/Needles recently but made abundantly clear that I need a sway bar quick disconnect of some kind to improve my articulation. That said, I don’t totally understand the swaybar setup on the LJ78 (or why, for instance, you’ve got an “extender” pictured above)? Can someone give me a little tutorial here, as well as any swaybar disconnect setups that have proven solid for the ole Prado?

(Some Needles pics below)

51C0CA71-8077-4080-89D8-88F32D919CBD.jpeg

3291A95D-06F0-4E6B-B0B0-246B7A91B52C.jpeg

C9C5826C-A4C7-4A92-9108-FF0CFC7F1FA8.jpeg

If I remember right, with a lift I’m not sure you can reconnect the rear sway bar without it hitting the axle. They are designed to work at a certain angle and the lift changes that angle fairly drastically. As for a disconnect, I got nothing for ya but hopefully some others do!

Remove them completely is your best bet if you are planning to off road the truck much.
I have ran both disconnects and no sway bars on many trucks over the years, I find the disconnects to just be an inconvenient pain. Now, I just remove them. The Prado is a very stable truck for what it is. I really can't tell the difference in mine with or without the sway bars. And, they seriously hinder the flexibility of the truck.
Extend your brake lines however if you remove them. They will hang an axle from themselves if you have longer springs and shocks.

Thanks @Nas90tdi I wondered about that. Nice to hear you haven't felt much in the way of stability loss on the road as I use this as a daily sometimes and enjoy its ability to "act civilized" around town. Same-same on the front axle? I've had a brake refresh (new rotors, pads, and lines) on my radar anyway so maybe a good time to mix the two projects?

Yep, same front and rear.
I tend to use only genuine parts, but the brake lines are a tad ridiculous on the price.
Here are some after-market ones that will give you the length you need.

Aftermarket extended brake lines for the LJ78 are :
Bendix 78575
or
Dorman H380535
or
Raybestos BH380535
or
Wagner BH138042

I know the Dorman are available on Amazon

This is cross reference for Toyota 96940-34705 brake line

Users who are viewing this thread

Back