LJ78 Auto to Manual transmission conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
Hoping that some one has some knowledge and experience with this.

I own an Auto LJ78. Auto works fine, and I don't mind it for the most part. When I'm towing my camper though, it would really be nice to have one more gear, and not be dealing with no torque converter lock-up in 2nd (sucks power and makes heat). I know I can force lock-up in 2nd, but I worry about the torque and load ruining the lock-up clutches.

I picked up a manual transmission Hilux Surf with the 2LT-II motor for cheap as a parts truck. I believe this has the R150F transmission. I was just going to sell the transmission, as it is the motor I was after. But now I'm wondering if this is a golden opportunity for a manual swap.

So, anyone know what all I'd need to source? Can my transfer case from the A343F bolt onto the R150F? Can I use anything else from the Surf, or do I have to source everything from a manual LJ78 parts vehicle? Transmission cross member different? Drive shafts different? Pedals? Clutch master? Shifter console? What else?

Just wondering if anyone has done the Manual swap before, and what all did you need?

Last edited:
In short the Landcruiser transfer case will not bolt up to the Manual box from a surf. Well that's what we have found.
What you want is an r151 manual box from another Landcruiser.
Toyota called the manuals the same number but have different housings on the end depending on what vehicle it's installed on.
Also the auto is longer than manual box.
You will need to make a custom cross member. Also you will need shorter drive shaft for front and longer one for the back.
You will also need a pedal box for the clutch lever from a landcrusier. The surf one won't fit.
Long story short. Find a wreaked lj7* Landcruiser with manual box and swap it all over.

In short the Landcruiser transfer case will not bolt up to the Manual box from a surf. Well that's what we have found.
What you want is an r151 manual box from another Landcruiser.
Toyota called the manuals the same number but have different housings on the end depending on what vehicle it's installed on.
Also the auto is longer than manual box.
You will need to make a custom cross member. Also you will need shorter drive shaft for front and longer one for the back.
You will also need a pedal box for the clutch lever from a landcrusier. The surf one won't fit.
Long story short. Find a wreaked lj7* Landcruiser with manual box and swap it all over.

Right on, that's the answer I needed, thanks. I'll just stick with the Auto then.

HAhahah Thats what I came to also. But have just wrecked an LJ71 for its manual trans and stuff. Just need a rear drive shaft now.
And flywheel / clutch kit. The 1KD flywheel and clutch kit fit. (Mine is a KZJ78 with 1KZTE engine)
I also scored a 1KZ bellhousing to swap over.
However saying that I love my auto....
Which has developed a fault. Currently being troubleshooted.

On a side note. If you want to trick up the auto.... There is a place in Australia which modify the valve body in the auto with good results. MV Automatics. Quality Transmission Service in Adelaide | MV Automatics

Snip from email
A340 Series

We have been building High Performance A340 transmissions since the early 90’s and in that time we have developed a number of valve bodies, for very different applications.

We have three performance levels in the A340 range.

Heavy Duty 4WD – This valve body was designed for the 4WD market, it is the perfect upgrade for your 4WD tow vehicle. It has a number of upgrades focusing on shift quality, lubrication and lock up clutch apply. If you have reflashed your ECU or just fitted a HP exhaust this is the valve body for you.

Stage 1 Performance – This valve body is for the next level in vehicle modification, designed for petrol and diesel vehicles with engine and turbo mods. It focuses on shift speed, delivering performance quality shifts with everyday drivability.

Stage 1.5 (street and strip) –This valve body is our number 1 seller in the A340 range, it is designed for the road and race track. You can drive your 10 sec car down the freeway to the drag strip, race all night and back home.

All the A340 range of valve bodies are custom built for the specified application. There are variation in the steps to get the best from your vehicle. All the valve bodies are thoroughly dyno tested for quality and performance assurance.

I look forward to hearing how you like your new manual setup. Good score on the LJ71 parts truck.

Thanks for the info on the A340 upgrades!

Saw a perfectly decent LJ78 Manual a year ago for only $3500CAD. Wish I'd bought it now....

Wont put the manual in until I have exhausted all cheaper options on the auto.... So far the parts truck has paid itself back and is actually in credit..... And that's with me keeping the manual and associated parts. I still have a chassis and bits left to sell. So that will fund the clutch and flywheel..... Or if I fix the auto I can sell it off as a kit for good $$....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom