LJ78 | Family Camper Build | NZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, I hear ya!

That's the WTA kit I was initially thinking I'd use for my truck but decided against it in the end on two counts. 1. I had one of Redline's alloy radiators but it only last two years before it started to leak and they weren't keen on taking much responsibility for it. TBF it was outside warranty but still, two years is disappointing. And 2. I suspect the barrel types are not as effective as the crossover types. I ordered one from Frozen Boost which admittedly has worked out to be almost twice the cost. At present am waiting for it to clear NZ customs but I suspect I'm about to get stung on the GST. I'm hopeful it will be very effective though.

You might want to have a watch of this:

This is what I eventually settled on:

Thanks @Peter P .

Looks like a good plan. I may need to replan my approach for the intercooler :)

Got my LJ78 independently evaluated today through a company in New Zealand. The evaluation came to $30,000 NZD. Very happy with this.

Shout out to the team at nzvv.co.nz for awesome service and guiding me through the process!

Your work is impressive and the results outstanding. Question on the injectors…can you still get OEM Denso injectors for your truck? I’m over in the States and during injection pump refurbish they sent off my injector nozzle assemblies and the machine shop lost them. We’re on our third set of replacement nozzle assemblies with another set in route (From Japan thru Ireland). Long painful story but so called / labeled OEM injectors keep showing up as apparent knockoffs and the 2LT in my LJ73 continues to overfuel. All research points to me needing Toyota PN 23600-59035 Denso PN 093500-2920. It’s a 1990 but built May 1989 and Europe/ Spain import. A mechanical injection pump…not 2LTE, nor 2LT-II. Any help would be much appreciated. What PN injector assemblies are in your rig…just curious?

Your work is impressive and the results outstanding. Question on the injectors…can you still get OEM Denso injectors for your truck? I’m over in the States and during injection pump refurbish they sent off my injector nozzle assemblies and the machine shop lost them. We’re on our third set of replacement nozzle assemblies with another set in route (From Japan thru Ireland). Long painful story but so called / labeled OEM injectors keep showing up as apparent knockoffs and the 2LT in my LJ73 continues to overfuel. All research points to me needing Toyota PN 23600-59035 Denso PN 093500-2920. It’s a 1990 but built May 1989 and Europe/ Spain import. A mechanical injection pump…not 2LTE, nor 2LT-II. Any help would be much appreciated. What PN injector assemblies are in your rig…just curious?
Hi @Buckaro

Thank you for your message and compliments.

My PN is 23600-59155 for the 2LTE.

I have been trying to stay away from the ebay, etc. injectors and mainly looking at wrecking yards or places like https://www.kaiapoirepowers.co.nz or Diesel Engine Smoking Services Auckland | Fuel Systems Repair| Diesel Service - https://autodiesel.co.nz. Talk to Vlad from Auto Diesel. I rank him as one of the best diesel mechanics in NZ :)

Here is a listing for a 2LT injector set in NZ - https://www.kaiapoirepowers.co.nz/?s=2lt

I recall a post on IH8MUD talking about Denso injectors, but unable to find it.

Hope this helps.

Hi @Buckaro

Thank you for your message and compliments.

My PN is 23600-59155 for the 2LTE.

I have been trying to stay away from the ebay, etc. injectors and mainly looking at wrecking yards or places like https://www.kaiapoirepowers.co.nz or Diesel Engine Smoking Services Auckland | Fuel Systems Repair| Diesel Service - https://autodiesel.co.nz. Talk to Vlad from Auto Diesel. I rank him as one of the best diesel mechanics in NZ :)

Here is a listing for a 2LT injector set in NZ - Search for "2lt" | Kaiapoi Repowers - https://www.kaiapoirepowers.co.nz/?s=2lt

I recall a post on IH8MUD talking about Denso injectors, but unable to find it.

Hope this helps.
@Buckaro - Found it :) Denso IDI injector nozzle tech? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/denso-idi-injector-nozzle-tech.1200537/

I've used both 2LTE and 2LT-II injectors in my 2LTE. The nozzles are different, but they both worked fine. 2LTE style has a special design that gives a bit of pre-injection for less 'knock' sound. Honestly, I like the diesel knock sound from the 2LT-II style. 2LTE style did seem to make a bit more power though.

Anyhow, having played around lots with injectors (even rebuilding my old ones myself at one point), the number one most important thing I learned, is you MUST replace the soft aluminum crush seal that goes between nozzle and cylinder head of the engine. Re-using the old ones allows combustion gasses past which overheats and fouls the nozzle fairly quickly, causing all sort of poor running symptoms. The other injector seals can be re-used successfully however. I also found I had to apply a little more torque to the fuel rail nuts than spec in order for them to seal properly.

Just installed these assemblies in the rig and it's running better than ever!

PXL_20221019_181410496.jpg

Yep, I hear ya!

That's the WTA kit I was initially thinking I'd use for my truck but decided against it in the end on two counts. 1. I had one of Redline's alloy radiators but it only last two years before it started to leak and they weren't keen on taking much responsibility for it. TBF it was outside warranty but still, two years is disappointing. And 2. I suspect the barrel types are not as effective as the crossover types. I ordered one from Frozen Boost which admittedly has worked out to be almost twice the cost. At present am waiting for it to clear NZ customs but I suspect I'm about to get stung on the GST. I'm hopeful it will be very effective though.

You might want to have a watch of this:

This is what I eventually settled on:

Hi @Peter P

Finally got my intercooler installed over the weekend.

Went with Frozen Boost recommendation - Thank you!

Did the quick beard in wind test and definitely noticed an increase in performance :)

IMG_20221127_100811_HDR.jpg

Awesome!! Tune time! You can have up to 120whp now with lower egt than stock setup. Let me know if you want tips.

Awesome!! Tune time! You can have up to 120whp now with lower egt than stock setup. Let me know if you want tips.
Thank you @GTSSportCoupe.

Will definitely reach out for tips.

The next thing on the list is sensors and gauges. Planning on adding EGT + pyrometer probe, water temp and boost gauge (with supporting boost controller) early next year. Having read some of your other posts, I am still not sure how to trick the ECU into getting 14psi...

First up is our 30 day trip around NZ starting in 3 weeks :)

Nice work, that looks very good. Do you notice differences in performance around town or just under high boost up hills on the open road etc?

I still haven't got mine up and running :rolleyes: Looks like you have a lot more room to play with than I do in my Surf but I'll get there. Have also had a lot of mucking around making up custom brackets etc for the radiator as it needs to be mounted on an angle to get it to fit. I sure hope it's worth all the bother. Haven't yet seen anyone manage the same arrangement I'm shooting for in my Surf.

What mix did you use for the coolant in the WTA system?

Re gauges, here's what I've done. From left boost, coolant and EGT. The Auberins gauges might be a bit pricier than some others but I've had two of them in for four years and they've been nothing but excellent. I think they're nicely understated and more in keeping with the old school Toyota interior than other round racing type gauges. What's more, they can switch a relay that can be used to turn say a fan or pump on / off at any values you set. I have my EGT and coolant gauges wired into a flashing buzzer (also in shot, yet to find a final home for) and have set the values just above the highest temps I see under prolonged max load. Theory being that if anything is ever amiss, a coolant leak or intercooler pump stops working for example, I should know about it, touch wood, before any damage is done. Clearly I'm still scarred from when the head gave out a few years back :D

IMG_5974.jpg

Nice work, that looks very good. Do you notice differences in performance around town or just under high boost up hills on the open road etc?

I still haven't got mine up and running :rolleyes: Looks like you have a lot more room to play with than I do in my Surf but I'll get there. Have also had a lot of mucking around making up custom brackets etc for the radiator as it needs to be mounted on an angle to get it to fit. I sure hope it's worth all the bother. Haven't yet seen anyone manage the same arrangement I'm shooting for in my Surf.

What mix did you use for the coolant in the WTA system?

Re gauges, here's what I've done. From left boost, coolant and EGT. The Auberins gauges might be a bit pricier than some others but I've had two of them in for four years and they've been nothing but excellent. I think they're nicely understated and more in keeping with the old school Toyota interior than other round racing type gauges. What's more, they can switch a relay that can be used to turn say a fan or pump on / off at any values you set. I have my EGT and coolant gauges wired into a flashing buzzer (also in shot, yet to find a final home for) and have set the values just above the highest temps I see under prolonged max load. Theory being that if anything is ever amiss, a coolant leak or intercooler pump stops working for example, I should know about it, touch wood, before any damage is done. Clearly I'm still scarred from when the head gave out a few years back :D

View attachment 3180359
Thanks @Peter P

I will be heading up north later this week and will be able to comment on the performance.

For now, I just went with Repco Green Coolant. May look at something different in the future. Any recommendations?

Like your setup! Will look into the gauges.

Re coolant, I figure the more water, less coolant the better. I was thinking 30% coolant / 70% water with a little bit of Redline Water Wetter.

Can I ask where you bought your 2 inch pipe from? And whether you had to cut them to fit and flare the ends on them to stop the pipes blowing apart under boost?

How's she running?

Re coolant, I figure the more water, less coolant the better. I was thinking 30% coolant / 70% water with a little bit of Redline Water Wetter.

Can I ask where you bought your 2 inch pipe from? And whether you had to cut them to fit and flare the ends on them to stop the pipes blowing apart under boost?

How's she running?
Hi @Peter P

I loaded the camping gear last weekend and took it out for a proper drive up to Kaiwaka.

Definitely an increase in performance. KMs held steady at 80km/hour uphill where I did 2 months ago only 60km/hour up the hills with the camping gear.

Pipes where bought from Scarles and speedfactor in NZ (both companies were awesome!). I have used a 90deg bend + 2 x 45deg bends at 600mm length to complete the setup + 1 x 90 degree silicon bend.

Things are holding up fairly well.

Just got stuck today on my transfer case oil filler plug being stuck and badly stripped :(.

All goes well, I am off with the family for 30 days overlanding across the north and south island :)

How's she running?

Hello,

For additional peace of mind, consider using Evans' coolant.

Juan

Some more upgrades done over the weekend.

Boost controller installed and gauges. The temp sensor still needs to be installed.

Pre boost controller, I got 9psi boost. I have set the boost to 14psi and what a difference!

Will be looking at some of @GTSSportCoupe other mods early next year :)

IMG-20221212-WA0014.jpeg

IMG-20221212-WA0006.jpeg

Is that a specific orange paint that you used? one pack acrylic? nice work mate
Thanks mate.

I have attached the paint info for the primer and 2K paint.

The color code is still in the Toyota family - FJ Cruiser Orange 4W2.

No top coat needed, hence I went with this option.

Overall happy with the paint selection and outcome.

Bit of orange peel to deal with next year as a 3 weekend project :)

Attachments

• 22_HS_print.pdf
    101.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 25-30_emea.pdf
    64.8 KB · Views: 54
Some more upgrades done over the weekend.

Boost controller installed and gauges. The temp sensor still needs to be installed.

Pre boost controller, I got 9psi boost. I have set the boost to 14psi and what a difference!

Will be looking at some of @GTSSportCoupe other mods early next year :)
Nice work mate. How do you think your turbo is holding up? Is it original? I've not been game to up the boost on my 30 year old turbo myself but maybe it'd be fine.

I have a "stage one" CT20 here from CCT in Australia that I'll have installed soon. They claim faster spooling and better flow. A lot cheaper than OEM though, so will have to cross fingers as to quality.

Are is your turbo spooling faster with that controller in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom