lj70 shock replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1988 LJ70 2.4 L D. It is not a north american version. It is the light duty version, no leaf springs, shocks and coils on all four corners. The OEM shock numbers are:

48511-60110-Front
48531-60120 Rear
48541-60010 Rear.

I have done a lot of searching for cross references to shocks made in the U.S. The only thing I have been able to find are Dobinson Springs shocks, but they are a very expensive solution due mostly to shipping costs.

Has anyone here replaced them and if so what manufacturer and part number. Failing that does anyone know the fully extended lengths, diameters and mounting type? I would measure these myself, but the truck is in Nicaragua and I am in California. I really thought this was going to be easy since I took the OEM numbers right off the shocks, go figure.

Thanks for the help.

I just replaced the entire suspension on my 1990 LJ78. I went with ARB's EMU suspension.My LJ78 is japanese.

Here are the parts the worked for mine:
ARB2873 (coil springs)
ARB 2874 (coil springs)
ARB N77 (front shocks)
ARB N79 (rear shocks)
ARB OMESD24 (Steering damper)

I'm not sure if these will work for yours, but you can take a look at them and see if they line up.

@markhc - the lj78 suspension will not work on a 88 LJ70.

88LJ70, try the Trailmaster suspension for your car. It's a little bit better than Old Man Emu. On the other hand, you can use Land Rover Defender front shoks. They will work. I recomand Terrafirma LR shocks.

@markhc - the lj78 suspension will not work on a 88 LJ70.

88LJ70, try the Trailmaster suspension for your car. It's a little bit better than Old Man Emu. On the other hand, you can use Land Rover Defender front shoks. They will work. I recomand Terrafirma LR shocks.

You are correct the lj78's will not sork on the lj70. If you have specific part numbers for the OM EMU's that would be great. I have the KYB part numbers, but they are an overseas replacement and I have to order them from dealers in Europe. Shipping is a little steep, but I may get them anyway at this point. I appreciate the inputs. If you have any experience with KYB vs pro comp ES 3000's I would be happy to hear it as I think I can get the pro comps as well.

What shocks did you end up with?

I have an 86 LJ70 with rear leafs and front coils. I need shocks as well.

Cheers,
Rich

call ARB 425-264-1391 ask for the Tech dep...They are pretty good guys..

Springs for your rig are,

Front coils 2870 (lt duty) / 2876 (Heavy= Heavy bumper/winch)
Rear coils 2871

Dont have shock #s...didnt get that far...

There are no fronts in the states and none in the pipeline...8 weeks to fill an order from OZ once placed..
4 wheel Parts wholesalers quoted me $168.00 a pair..front or back
Called and got these #s on Thursday for my LJ70..
Let me know if your going to place an order and maybe I'll order mine at same time to maybe speed up the order

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I may need different parts since my suspension has rear leafs instead of springs but I'm sure they can work something out.

Cheers,
Rich

here is what i would do
take the originals off
measure the eye, pin, compressed length and extended length
add 3" to the length (most kits supply shocks that are too short, your shocks should never be the limiting factor)
rear leafs, rancho jeep rear leaf addaleaf and if need be a custom lengthened rear shackle (MUCH cheaper than shipping a full set of leafs.
front, dobbinson out of Oz are the best coils i have run, WAY better than OME.

you have access to a parts store? if so then take your measurments down and they should be able to source you a set of shocks, cheaper than name brand (since, if i remember correctly, there are only 4 manufactures of shocks in the world and renamed to different suppliers).

in your situation that is what i would consider, you can also join the UK land Cruiser forum http://www.landcruiserclub.net/ and ask on there since there are a crap load of LJ owned cruisers on that forum.
once you join then read Bens LJ build thread. the kids pretty impressive.
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/42837-LJ70-Build-Thread!

I have an 86 LJ70 with rear leafs and front coils. I need shocks as well.

Cheers,
Rich

Since when did a lj70, especially 1986 model, have rear leafs? Has some one modded this lj70?

There was another post somewhere on this, which I asked, missed it.:eek:

I'll try and post some pics of the rear suspension set-up. Raining hard here now. Car is from Switzerland. I have the original papers in German from the dealer. Car is badged as a Land Cruiser II on the side.

probably the same as the Mits pajero, in Japan it was coil rear, in North America (dodge raider) it was leaf springs.
cheaper version??

Thems the curliest leaf springs I done ever seen

They are coils. Mea culpa. I mistook the long rear control arm things for leaf springs in a quick inspection. Thanks for all of the suggestions for shocks and such. A whole suspension kit will be much easier to bring in luggage from the States next trip.

Best,
Rich

Curious if anyone here has upgraded their LJ70 with the OME springs and if they were satified with the ride.
I feel the current stock ride is terribly soft, especially up front, but have some reservations about changing the
stock geometry of the truck. Any thoughts or input from any members?

i ran both the dobinson and the OME side by side on two different trucks.
the dobinson was hands down better than the OME in every way, ride, handling, bottoming out, cost.
OME is nice if you have no other choice.

Depends on what you want to use your truck for. I need lots of load capacity, so the heavier OME spring serve me well. If you don't need to tow or carry a heavy load, soft would be better.

Thanks for getting back to me.
I'm pretty sure I want to preserve the stock height, but stock springs are definitely too soft for me.
I am leaning towards the Dob Springs, but they are more pricey and difficult to get here in the US than OME.

there is a Dob dealer in the states now ...
his prices, for me, seemed reasonable.
remember, OME is no longer made in Oz. the quality has definitely gone down.

I've spoken to the guy at Dobs in Miami FL. He has to special order them since the LJ70 wasn't a US vehicle.
They are about $100 each shipped, but are special order and it takes a few months. Just thought there may
be a dealer in western Candada that had them in stock, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Thanks again for your
input and time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom