LJ70 / Prado / Bundera pre-1990 Fuel Gauge Accuracy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
What are other pre-1990 LJ owners experiencing with respect to Fuel Gauge accuracy?
Everything I've read says we have a 90 Liter Tank / 23.78 Gallon Tank.

I usually fill up the tank with about a 1/4 tank remaining. That usually means putting in 14-15 Gallons.
Today, I took the tank all the way down to where I felt comfortable, with the needle barely touching Empty today.
It took 64.35 Liters / 17 Gallons exactly. This is probably the most fuel I ever put in it.

That said, I find it hard to believe there is a 21.5 Liter / 5.7 gallon buffer between what is left in the tank and the gauge showing Empty. I understand these systems are built for the "average" driver that may be impervious to most things, but a 25% buffer between having Fuel and being Empty seems a bit excessive.

If any other LJ70 owners could share their experiences with what the system says you have versus what you actually have in the tank, I'm curious. Is this is normal or way out of parameters?

Last edited:
E= 5 gallons left.

It’s the same for all Toyotas.

On newer trucks the “low fuel” light comes on.
Hello,

x2.

A little overengineering, as is usually the case with 70 Series.

The buffer is intended to prevent damage to fuel pumps. Furthermore, some pumps overheat (and then fail) when there is not enough fuel left in the tank.

Juan

This pretty much matches my experience with my '91. When I hit the final bar on the gauge it takes around 17 gallons to fill up. I haven't gotten brave enough to run it lower than that yet.

@AirheadNut , I guess I‘m a stress monster, I usually never let it get that low. In the past, I would stress soon as it got below a 1/4 Tank. But, it is good to know now, we have some wiggle room with that extra 5 plus gallons / 125 miles when it hits “E”. Thanks for confirming.

I've had the same experience as the rest of you.

I did run out of fuel before soon after I bought the truck. Gauge was not even on the empty line yet. Only got 75l into it when I was able to fill it again. So even running out, there must still have been 15l in there. Now I always fill before it goes lower than 1/4 on the gauge. When I had run it out, it wasn't even on the E line yet, and I had no low fuel light or anything come on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom