LJ70 alternative engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rosco,
i would love to see you warranty your claims. if it isn't your money being invested then it is easy to say "they are great engines"...

just saying...

Rosco,
i would love to see you warranty your claims. if it isn't your money being invested then it is easy to say "they are great engines"...

just saying...

Im not making money out of anything,just being honest in my thoughts based on my observations
We've had 2 in the family and my neighbours and friends own them.
One of the family members is a mechanic ,who owned a high profile sprts car business and he chose a 1KZ TE Prado as the family hack and loved it.

My brother tried to replace his company diesel Prado with another after he left the company and handed his old one back in.
We spent weeks looking for a diesel model and couldnt get one with low klms
Owners dont let go until they have 300000 klms on the clock.
You must know yourself that vehicles that have a high turnover rate is a good indication owners were not satisfied with them.
Just not so with diesel Prados

I dont know the exact figures,but they must have sold 20000 of them in oz,maybe a lot more if you count the Hiace,Hilux and Dyna(not sure if we got the 1KZ dyna like Europe.

If you dont believe me,ask around on other forums around the world.
It seems only in Canada are they despised,despite only having tiny volumes of 15 year old JDMs
I went through all the posts on 90scool sometime back and found only 1 or 2 occurences of head failure.
One of those was caused by a dealer installing a brand new OEM radiator that was blocked with crud from the factory.
If I was in the market for a 1KZ TE,I would be more concerned about the fuel pump.

Rosco,
to be clear, i never infered you made money off this. it was i that used to make money off selling vehicles but when a lemon shows up and COSTS you more than the profit then you become very volcal about the s*** being sold.
which leads to my statement that if you had to warranty the KZ recommendation then you might be much more hesitant to claim it is a great engine.

it was not meant as an offensive statement but more of a "do you understand where i am coming from" statement.

the more i look into the KZ the more i find head cracking issues, no where near as bad as the 2LTE but the problem is still there. when doing a conversion then why use an engine with a known flaw that can not be corrected? there are other options available.

Rosco,
to be clear, i never infered you made money off this. it was i that used to make money off selling vehicles but when a lemon shows up and COSTS you more than the profit then you become very volcal about the s*** being sold.
which leads to my statement that if you had to warranty the KZ recommendation then you might be much more hesitant to claim it is a great engine.

it was not meant as an offensive statement but more of a "do you understand where i am coming from" statement.

the more i look into the KZ the more i find head cracking issues, no where near as bad as the 2LTE but the problem is still there. when doing a conversion then why use an engine with a known flaw that can not be corrected? there are other options available.

Local car dealers have no quibbles about offering 12 month warrantys on used Prado diesels.
As I said before ,you are basing your info on a tiny volume of 15 yo JDM imports.
I would like to see the proof that it is a known flaw.
You will always find the worse things about an engine on the net,its where everyone goes when something does go wrong.
The other 20000 happy owners dont go on the net to tell you how happy they are.

And why use this engine? Because 1PZ and 1HZ are fairly rare outside of a handfull of countries.
The 1KZ/1KD is the main toyota diesel engine in Europe and SE Asia.

you can get warranties for the 2lTE as well...

well you could till the claims started rolling in, not sure if you can still get them or not.

in Oz the 2LTE didn't have the reputation that it gained here either, i suspect that in Oz the 2:TE is still thought of as a good engine. based on this example, your claim has its flaws when recommending the KZ to the North American buyer.

you can get warranties for the 2lTE as well...

well you could till the claims started rolling in, not sure if you can still get them or not.

in Oz the 2LTE didn't have the reputation that it gained here either, i suspect that in Oz the 2:TE is still thought of as a good engine. based on this example, your claim has its flaws when recommending the KZ to the North American buyer.

The 1KZ has been on sale here since late 95. If the warranty claims were going to "start rolling in" they would have done so by now.
Bringing the 2LTE into the debate is a red herring.
NA buyers have a growing parts supply base for JDM diesels that is unlikely to happen in other continents .
Most Japanese diesels are uncommon in NA so anyone doing diesel swaps will have to import parts from afar from time to time.
There is a Florida dealer who sells 1KZ on ebay and there is another shop that instals them into 4runners.
The 1KZ (and 2LT) are the preferred diesel engine swap on Conversions - ToyotaDiesel.com

Still waiting for the "KNOWN FLAW" proof

how is bringing the @LTE into the mix a red herring? it still has a decent reputaiton in Oz even though here it doesn't...
which leads to the exact same situation with the KZ.

and as to whether some company uses them for swaps does NOT make them a good engine. what it does mean is they are getting a good supply of them to use for swaps.

round and round we go... again.

how is bringing the @LTE into the mix a red herring? it still has a decent reputaiton in Oz even though here it doesn't...
which leads to the exact same situation with the KZ.

and as to whether some company uses them for swaps does NOT make them a good engine. what it does mean is they are getting a good supply of them to use for swaps.

round and round we go... again.

Well he obviously knows how to set these engines up correctly as he is still in business last I heard.
Still waiting for "known flaw"proof,if you have any;)

Hello,

I have been driving a 1KZ-powered truck over the last few months and I like it. Not a fast engine, but both torque and acceleration are decent... Provided you stay below 100 km/h. And the tank lasts forever, like the good old 3B.

You have to keep in mind that both the 2L and 1KZ are small diesel engines not designed with speed in mind, powering rather large, heavy trucks.

I would recommend this engine.

Juan

Hello,

I have been driving a 1KZ-powered truck over the last few months and I like it. Not a fast engine, but both torque and acceleration are decent... Provided you stay below 100 km/h. And the tank lasts forever, like the good old 3B.

You have to keep in mind that both the 2L and 1KZ are small diesel engines not designed with speed in mind, powering rather large, heavy trucks.

Juan

Thanks for you input sir.:) Still thinking if it's worth to replace the engine.

Had my 1kz for 3 years. Only issue has been a recent relay failure on the air con system.

Running 33" on a lj70 and clocked 145kmph by gps........a once only to see if can do.

I have a 1kz-te in a 94 4runner and I drive it 200 miles a day and have on issues. I would buy another in a heart beat.

It is all about how you take care of the engines.

wayne is not a kz fan

how long have you had your KZ?
where do you drive it?
what speeds?

till i see them in Canada and holding up for a year and a half or two then all is nothing. even a 2LTE can make 6 months or a year before puking up its guts.

Some ideas:

If you swap from 2lt to 1kzt you will have to modifiy a lot of thing in the engine bay. Plus the gearbox, electrical wiring, cooling system, fuel hose and brake...

At the end you could have a nice truck if you fit a intercooler and tune the fuel pump..you will reach 150horse power and beautiful torque.... but with rear drums...

Good luck for your swap, hope this help !

Hello,

Juan

What is it that you are driving Juan? Is it a non turbo?

till i see them in Canada and holding up for a year and a half or two then all is nothing. .

Why is it all "nothing"?
Are you saying only your opinion counts?
Even when owners chime in and say how happy they are with their choice of engine,its all "nothing"?

Wow never knew 2lt can reach 150hp. What kind of tuning does the injection pump needed? Do I have to replace the injection pump? Does it have high performance injection pump available?

Some ideas:

If you swap from 2lt to 1kzt you will have to modifiy a lot of thing in the engine bay. Plus the gearbox, electrical wiring, cooling system, fuel hose and brake...

At the end you could have a nice truck if you fit a intercooler and tune the fuel pump..you will reach 150horse power and beautiful torque.... but with rear drums...

Good luck for your swap, hope this help !

Rosco,
when you are ready to offer a warranty out of your own pocket then your word will count.

read my post again, IN CANADA, till i see the KZ holding up i wouldn't recommend them. 3 months, 6 months, a year is all nothing.
it is easy for you to sit there and spout off how great the KZ is when it doesn't cost you anything if they are dropping over here, now does it?

already they are begining to have head issues, lets see what the new year brings... it took a year before the 2LTE issues really began to show up.

but

it isn't my money, my time or my tow bill (nor yours) so in reality what do i really care?

Really Wayne, beat a dead blanket:p.

Douch or not, some people like the 2h and others do not....

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom