Lj70 1986 Turbo issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, my round headlamp lj70 1986 2.4td is leaking oil from the turbo and the oil is going into the engine intake manifold, it’s dribbling through the manifold seal. Firstly I’m guessing this is bad for the engine as too much oil during combustion. I’m in the process of getting my turbo reconditioned or serviced. What usually causes this? Which part of the turbo could be at fault? I’ve read that often the engine pressure can cause turbos to spit oil this way, either blocked oil return pipe or bad pcv system pressure? I’m looking into these two things to make sure they are not at fault. I can’t locate the pcv valve, there’s nothing inline from the top of the crank case cover to the turbo inlet, is it inside the cover? Can anybody else suggest simple tests to be done to rule out other causes of this oil leak? Any help and advice appreciated! Thanks

@Stevevoid, although I wouldn't say it is optimal, it is not unusual for a turbo of this age to have some oil blow-by and for the owner to see oil puddle or accumulate into the "crossover tube/intercooler" that connects your turbo to the intake manifold. I wouldn't freak out if the vehicle is running fine. If you plan on keeping for a while, mind as rebuild the turbo, and that should correct the problem with oil in the cross-over tube. As far as letting your engine/crankcase breath, just get some (I believe 5/8" Heater Hose") and connect that to the exit on the valve cover and just vent it under the chassis. You will probably need about 4-5 feet of heater hose.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I’m still trying to get to the bottom of lack of power issues so I’m going to replace the turbo, I’ve now found a reasonably priced reconditioned one. As far as the breather tube on the crank case is concerned, currently the pipe is connected to the turbo air in, are you saying to take this pipe ou and connect under the vehicle? Is this because you are concerned that oil will go through this pipe and into the turbo from the crank case? Thanks again

@Stevevoid , What I'm talking about is circled in red. Get some heater hose and zip ties and vent the valve cover. Secure the end of the hose to the area around your transmission cross brace area. You will get less oil going into your intake manifold if you do this and rebuild the turbo. Have you driven any other 2LT powered vehicles before? They are not known for being really powerful. So even with a brand new turbo, don't expect huge power gains. But I would expect the oil going into the intake will be solved if you do these 2 things. Also, don't forget to put a cap on the opening in the "Cross-over tube" that connects the turbo to the manifold.

Let us know how it goes.

63CC097B-E439-434F-BC8B-65AEFF72F8F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Okeydokey, so basically you’re saying that instead of diverting blow by from the top of rocker cover to turbo intake, I should divert it under the engine and out, then block up the pipe on the turbo intake ? Yeah I realize these engines lack power but when I bought it originally it had more oomph...

Yes, @Stevevoid ,that is basically the idea. In the future, I wouldn't refer to that piece as a "Turbo Intake" Toyota actually calls it an "Intercooler" if you can believe that, but it is not the turbo intake. Turbo gets its air from the air filter. Also, if you haven't replaced the hose that connects the turbo to the "Cross-Over Tube/ Intercooler" they can get dry and brittle and lose a good seal. Check the tube where it connects to the Intake Manifold as well. My previous engine had a crack on that piece as well, If it is cracked, you could be losing some power there as well. That piece is a bit pricey, if you can find it. But I would inspect it.

Since you have had the LJ for a while now, you know if has lost some power. Sounds like a new or re-built turbo should really help to get her back to where she was or better. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom