Living with a BJ40.... reality.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had two FJ60's a couple 4Runners and a Sequoia, but no 40's. I have been looking at BJ40's, shying away from FJ40's as the engine is a rats nest of CA emissions I dreaded with my FJ60's. BJ's are exempt. So there is my dirty laundry. My question is what is your opinion of actually living with one? Yes, "go drive one" is a good idea but where I live they are extinct. So, questions:

- lot's of negatives about "long drives" that focus on the word "don't". Is it the short wheelbase, stiff ride or?

- lot's of positives about diesel engines except... most of the available BJ's are from Costa Rica and I really have no idea how well they are maintained. True, a compression check would help. And you can always put in new injectors... but main/rod bearings, seals... gawd knows what else... No one wants to start with a $6K engine rebuild.

- "noisy", "drives like a broken truck", jarring, rattles..... oooooookay..... figured that.

- I take short 100 mile trips fishing. The FWD is important in the spring and fall with mud and snow. I don't know if 40's have any sort of limited slip rear but I am researching that.

- A heater is really needed at 5AM in the spring. CR imports don't have heaters but, apparently, after market heaters are available.

- top speed... going downhill with a tail wind, 60. If you have a 5 speed, 67.

So, what is it REALLY like living with a BJ40? Good news, bad news, news.... opinions, how ever tainted, are greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Last edited:
Hi Kurt!
Given the 4.11 final/axle ratio of the BJ40/42s you will probably need, at least for your typical-100 mile ride, a 5spd gearbox. This is something the BJ40s don't have from the factory, as the late (10/1982-10/1984) BJ42s do.

Furthermore, if you take into consideration the short wheelbase factor, I assume that a BJ60 or a HJ60/61 would be a better choice for your task: more comfortable without compromising offroad ability.
That's my humble opinion after several years of BJ40 4spd, BJ42 5spd and HJ61 practice...

In respect to the limited slip diff, just look at the engine bay shield. If you do have a Transmission Code ending in 5, eg. KO85 (as it is the case in my BJ45 P/UP, or my brother's HJ61) you've got a limited slip diff!

As it is concerns Latin America/some other countries trucks, it can be tricky, I would trust only unrestored trucks.
One could, perhaps, look for a JDM Cruiser: despite RHD, better looked after /lower mileage vehicles, in most of cases!

Good luck mate and enjoy your hunt!

BJ45.JPG

Last edited:
Slow and steady but there's nothing like a 40, and a 40 should have a diesel IMHO

Hi Kurt!
Given the 4.11 final/axle ratio of the BJ40/42s I assume that you will need for your typical-100 mile ride, at least, a 5spd gearbox.
If you add the short wheelbase factor, I believe that a BJ60 or a HJ60/61 would be more comfortable without compromising offroad ability.
That's my humble opinion after several years of BJ40 4spd, BJ42 5spd and HJ61 practice...

Last edited:
Look for a canadian bj42 , i love mine ,its my daily driver and it will do 75mph on flat road with no wind but 60-65 is more confortable .
Long distance trip take more time compare to newer car because you enjoy the ride and scenery ,talk with peoples who ask questions , also frequent stop to stretch your legs and a quick look for leaks or other potential issues

Get an electric or air locker and or a winch , you dont need lsd

Screenshot_20210122_071651_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I have had two FJ60's a couple 4Runners and a Sequoia, but no 40's. I have been looking at BJ40's, shying away from FJ40's as the engine is a rats nest of CA emissions I dreaded with my FJ60's. BJ's are exempt. So there is my dirty laundry. My question is what is your opinion of actually living with one? Yes, "go drive one" is a good idea but where I live they are extinct. So, questions:

- lot's of negatives about "long drives" that focus on the word "don't". Is it the short wheelbase, stiff ride or?

- lot's of positives about diesel engines except... most of the available BJ's are from Costa Rica and I really have no idea how well they are maintained. True, a compression check would help. And you can always put in new injectors... but main/rod bearings, seals... gawd knows what else... No one wants to start with a $6K engine rebuild.

- "noisy", "drives like a broken truck", jarring, rattles..... oooooookay..... figured that.

- I take short 100 mile trips fishing. The FWD is important in the spring and fall with mud and snow. I don't know if 40's have any sort of limited slip rear but I am researching that.

- A heater is really needed at 5AM in the spring. CR imports don't have heaters but, apparently, after market heaters are available.

- top speed... going downhill with a tail wind, 60. If you have a 5 speed, 67.

So, what is it REALLY like living with a BJ40? Good news, bad news, news.... opinions, how ever tainted, are greatly appreciated.

Thank you !
Absolutely love my BJ40. A five speed would be great, but because of off road gearing, I chose to stay with the 4 speed and 4.0/1 tc. I can cruise at 75 pretty comfortably, but prefer 60ish due to mpgs. Rattles? They are easily chased down and eliminated. I don't have a single annoying rattle left, but it rattled like a tin can full of marbles when I got it. Bilstein shocks made a huge difference in ride quality - day and night from whatever came with it. I drive this thing as my DD because I enjoy driving it that much. Noisy? Yeah compared to a more modern aspirated engine, sure. However, I don't find it bad at all - actually enjoy the diesel sound. Mine does not drive like a broken truck, is not jarring after the Bilstens and as mentioned, I don't have a rattle left. I drive mine from Napa Valley, CA to Moab every year and enjoy the ride. The seats are way more comfortable than our other cars. I wouldn't even consider a 100 mile trip a long trip at all. Don't bother with a limited slip, get a Harrop or ARB air locker. If $$ an issue, I have another 78 that I've had a lunch-box locker in for 25+ years without a problem (as long as you understand how they work and the odd noises they make). My advice would be to get the diesel and to not look back.

I wish you luck finding a BJ here in NorCal. You could alway look for a ‘75 or older for the smog exemption. Then you can do whatever you want to the drivetrain.
Check into importing cars here in Cali. I can’t imagine they make it easy.

Absolutely love the diesel 40s, great ride if you know what you got yourself into.
Dont expect a modern SUV feeling and you will be happy.
I would try to get a BJ42, it has a 3B instead of a B engine which has slightly more power.
And the 3B is suited better for a Turbo should you ever wish for more power.
It also has the Diskbrakes at the front.

Agree with getting 42 series. I have owned a couple 42's and now have Bj45 with 3B. Power fair in the mountains where I live. You get use to the lack of power in climbs with the 3B as it just goes with the territory. I turned down purchasing a troopy with B series a few years ago due to the performance. As @littleafrica mentioned you can add turbo to the 3B and there are several options for doing so. I hope to have my 3B replacement rebuild back from shop in month or two. After I get it back I intend on slapping turbo and H55 in with it and she should be good to go for a long time.

Again given choice of a gas or diesel I would own a diesel everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom