Living in the fuel filter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Less than a year. I drive it a good distance 2-3 times a week.
this stuff was like rusty egg whites!
E6F89CD7-AF66-42AD-8645-C8212EB17A70.jpeg

How do you kill that crap?

I use some different stuff - I can't remember the name - but most diesel fuel conditioners have a biocide. My BJ40 is a daily driver (mostly) and I add about 1/4 cup (100ml) every time I fill the tank. I didn't use it in the distant past, but after letting my truck sit one year, the bacteria in the engine oil ate little holes in my camshaft, crank and lifters (and bearings) resulting in a major engine rebuild. Now I am pretty strict about using it.

Last edited:
My notes on dosages for biobor JF are;
-to sterilize, 270ppm ( I use 2ml / 10 litres fuel)
-to maintain, 135ppm (I use 1ml / 10 litres fuel)

That's from water. I would get a water separator and you wont need algaecides. Water separators also give you a rough idea where and when you got the water in your fuel , negating the need to go there again.

Last edited:
Yes, but bacteria only grow on the oil/water interfaces, live bacteria (slime) can be many colours, from clear to dark, and they will plug up your filter as fast as the dead (decomposed black) ones. His tank needs to be drained, flushed, treated with a sterilizer (to kill any live contaminants) and he should install a sedimenter (water separator) in his system.

I have some of this right now... Just bought some biocide and will be putting an inline filter before my Racor and engine filter. Hopefully that should grab all the crap out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom