Live time: How do you seperate the Front Hub from the Rotor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on changing the outer and inner bearing on the front end of a 97 Model

I got the rotor out and I was able to remove the 6 hub bolts that bolts it to the rotor...but I am not able to separte them...note that I have made my markings on both so they go back as they were...but how do you seprate them after the bolts were removed???

Thanks Al

Last edited:
I am working on changing the outer and inner bearing on the front end of a 97 Model

I got the rotor out and I was able to remove the 6 hub bolts that bolts it to the rotor...but I am not able to separte them...note that I have made my markings on both so they go back as they were...but how do you seprate them after teh bolts were removed???

Thanks Al

A press or a BFH.

IIRC you shouldn't need to take the rotor off to swap bearings/races. If you are doing rotors at the same time, I used two screwdrivers to pry up each side evenly. There could be some rust between the hub/rotor, so some pb blaser may help. Just clean your rotor off if you plan on re-using it.

Lyrikz - are you saying they have to be pressed out?? and what is a BFH...sorry for being redundant?

Thanks Coax---I need to replace the races as I have seen a score on the outer bearing race so I decided to replace the races and the bearings at the same time.

Also are you saying just use PB balster and try to separate them....if so should I try and wedge a screw driver in between to do so ??

No need to separate the hub and disc to replace the bearing races. Use a long, skinny punch and a brass hammer, reach through the center from the other side, striking at the edge of the race. It'll pop out pretty easily when you hit it there.

Lyrikz - are you saying they have to be pressed out?? and what is a BFH...sorry for being redundant?

BFH = Big F'in Hammer (usually 2lb hammer+)

hey,i know this one!!! BFH= big f'ing hammer. also, i did not separate the hub/rotor when i did mine, as i was not replacing the rotor. the races can be replaced while leaving the hub/rotor together. good luck:cheers:

Thanks Coax---I need to replace the races as I have seen a score on the outer bearing race so I decided to replace the races and the bearings at the same time.

Also are you saying just use PB balster and try to separate them....if so should I try and wedge a screw driver in between to do so ??

If you are just trying to do the rotors, yes I used 2 very large screwdrivers to separate them from the rotor.

No screwdrivers are necessary to swap the races. A coal chisel, a brass drift, etc can be used to remove the race. In the inner part of the hub there are "notches" where the bottom of the race is exposed and can be tapped out from the opposite side.

No need to separate the hub and disc to replace the bearing races.

Yep exactly. In fact I think it was easier to leave the rotor on when replacing the races as it makes it a bit easier to handle.

I also never touched the rotor/hub assembly doing the races and bearings.. Used a small/medium brass bar to knock races out.

Used my race drivers (disks that have a handle that inserts into it) that you hit with a BFH to drive the races in. Turns out I did not have a big enough race driver for the one race on the hub and had to put race and freezer and then knock in with hammer and skinny brass bar hitting around the edges...

Basically make life much easier and buy a comprehensive race/seal driver kit makes the front end job that much easier.

Keep those old bearing races around. Cut a slit in them and use them to drive in your new races.

Thanks Guys I am done with the outer now on to the inner but how do you remove that seal first?...

do I just use the round puch bar and hit the inner races to get every thing out ??

If your talking the hub oil seal I used my seal puller again a nice tool to have not sure the best way without it though i am sure someone else will chime in

Thanks guys to all of you for your great feedback and advices.

I have completed the new outer & inner bearings install and the rotor/hub attached are on the spindle and I will complete the torque procedures in the AM.

After that I am on to the brake pads and I should be good to go thereafter.

Thanks again to all.

Al.

You're welcome!

I can almost see your greasy keyboard now...:p
RTH at MUD. It's just that gritty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom