Builds Live in Texas, drive a pickup: HDJ79 single cab build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think your column missed bolting in by a year or two. IIRC that was the last year before the bodies changed. Once they did away with flat fenders the firewall where the steering column bolts in changed as well.

What year is your cab?

Mine is a 2009 body(metal dash), early column(90s I would suspect). Lined right up.

This is the only pic I have that shows that area. Probably won't help much.

P1010426.jpg

So this is awesome:

Our family is out at the ranch last night packing for a Thanksgiving camping trip. It’s dark when we leave and as the headlights flash over the 79 sitting outside the barn, I say to my wife, “That truck is next after I get the 61 running.”

No joke, my wife turns to me and says honestly, “What is that? Is that your truck?”

I can’t tell if she’s joking or not. But if she’s not, she has no idea how much money I have spent! She never even noticed it existed!

So this is awesome:

Our family is out at the ranch last night packing for a Thanksgiving camping trip. It’s dark when we leave and as the headlights flash over the 79 sitting outside the barn, I say to my wife, “That truck is next after I get the 61 running.”

No joke, my wife turns to me and says honestly, “What is that? Is that your truck?”

I can’t tell if she’s joking or not. But if she’s not, she has no idea how much money I have spent! She never even noticed it existed!
That's why you only keep receipts that are less than $10.00. The rest are hidden.

So this is awesome:

Man, I have been asked that question before and it sends chills up your spine. My mind is rapidly switching between the responses of “Yes you know about that Land Cruiser” or “Haha lol that’s not mine!”

So this is awesome:

I am pretty sure we asked her to move her truck when I was delivering that 79 to you 😂

It’s a blessing to have a wife like that , mine works similar in not noticing what’s on the driveway but she notices it when the UPS and Fedex deliveries are not for her 😁

I have learned not to answer friends asking how many cruisers I have when my wife is present. What she does not remember should not be held against me.

So this is awesome:

Forgiveness > Permission

as long as we are doing algebra....

Divorce minus one = number of cruisers I have

Something unbelievable arrived today.

6+ months in the making.

86685C60-047B-4343-824B-05BCBA41955B.jpeg

Amazing build and awesome thread. Enjoying how you’re balancing everything new with reason... I’d say it’s well lined-up. Love the dogs, too.
The fingers were terrifying to me given my profession, but at the very least now I know where to turn if I do end up needing a hand surgeon. ;)

I am pretty sure we asked her to move her truck when I was delivering that 79 to you 😂

It’s a blessing to have a wife like that , mine works similar in not noticing what’s on the driveway but she notices it when the UPS and Fedex deliveries are not for her 😁
More importantly my accountant stopped asking about parts orders being a business expense.

Dave @Japan4X4 went ABOVE AND BEYOND to procure this FT valve cover. Through dogged determination he got through to Yanmar and acquired this valve cover. It was not inexpensive...but now I have a spare if I ever happen onto an FTE to mechanically convert.

50094DEE-BD9E-4B4E-92B7-D46162D2ADEE.jpeg

I am slightly surprised at the amount of casting imperfections....but I’m not complaining!

5A689ECC-DB7A-4FBC-B925-ECD05681F8D0.jpeg

Dave also sourced me the increasingly difficult to find FT A/C bracket and tensioner pulley bracket. I picked up a spare of each since these tend to disappear.

CDF03BFB-4CBD-4960-83A9-2A0A116813C0.jpeg
1E86D260-1FED-46E9-A5DB-7095ED57551A.jpeg

D6F12946-01FA-4F56-9A4A-3FCB06D11116.jpeg

Dave asked me to take my valve cover and make sure that it indeed fit.

It does… Sort of. This cover from Yanmar has the shape of the 1HDFT valve cover, but it has 17 mounting holes to fit an FTE heard, not the 12 that fits a FT head.

Could you make it work? Yes, with an FTE 17 hole gasket, and some drilling, tapping, and cap screws, I’m sure it work just fine.

TLDR: this valve cover from Yanmar is a direct fit for an FTE head for a mechanically converted FTE, but will require some modifications to use on a 1HDFT.

87131E75-F6DA-45DF-AC4C-084643950445.jpeg
C8D221C9-1D16-4440-9FD4-DE679ECDC643.jpeg
26E6FDEE-873D-48D8-8CDA-4E31391B2AFC.jpeg
B676665B-7142-43B4-80AA-0ED45EDC0925.jpeg

Here’s a problem that I didn’t know that I had until recently. When the clutch pedal changed around 1/07, the clutch master cylinder is now inside the firewall inside the pedal bucket. It shares fluid with the brake master cylinder reservoir, and takes a special master cylinder. I was able to pick one up. The clutch hose however remained a total mystery. The part number was superseded and it took me quite a while to find it. They both just arrived and appear to fit.

The correct master cylinder is on the left; note the nipple is covered with a black rubber plug in the first picture. No exposed nipples here on MUD, y’all.

Brake master cylinder: 47201-60A00
Clutch hose: 31434-60040

4046B2EF-B80F-4EAB-AC4B-EF19B7F53934.jpeg
A1D4DA3A-6D27-428A-BCA6-F00759D965FF.jpeg
73CDA4FA-6AB5-43FF-9822-2621B9B021BC.jpeg

Ohhh krazy Mr. T there.

Hmm. That gives me an idea for the NV4500 clutch MC which has a detached resivoir. It’s cheap plastic and I don’t have a good spot to mount it. I could maybe get that resivoir and add it to the 80 series brake MC?

As I always do, I got a spare....so try it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom