Builds Live in Texas, drive a pickup: HDJ79 single cab build (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joe, I'm just the untalented guy with the camera. Rob would be the person to talk to about the technical stuff.
Ha , that is by far the fastest FT I have ever drove , looks like it is in the right hands now.

Joe, I'm just the untalented guy with the camera. Rob would be the person to talk to about the technical stuff.

Is it your's ? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere but WOW ! :clap:

Is it your's ? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere but WOW ! :clap:
It belongs to one of the shop's clients. (Replacing a petrol engine)

Last edited:
In an attempt to make my motor look more like those above, I bought the cheap mini needle scaler from HF. It worked amazingly well and really knocked off scale and crud that I thought I had really gone over well. NOW I’m really ready to degrease and paint.

3D7B27DC-C334-459A-99D7-8C692ED0F641.jpeg
B8C2CE26-3DD3-4338-9A53-E400B6CD7796.jpeg

Also, @cwwfj60 stopped by and delivered some parts for my HJ61. He was nice enough to help me weasel the last bolt in place to mount the second gas strut. Kitty launcher is GO.

618EC81A-BA0F-40D9-BE2F-65EDC4D317C2.jpeg

I finally just gave up making my block look as clean as @SNLC’s, and just treated it with the KBS degreaser/cleaner and Rust Blast. Now it looks like the motor has frosted wingtips, which is not a great look. I Blasted a couple more areas that still had residual surface rust. I’ll wash it off again, and let it sit overnight. Enamel goes on tomorrow.

735DCE44-B741-4CBA-B68E-36340AD5CC08.jpeg
EE28463B-04B6-4281-81AA-1BD72045DF45.jpeg

Also, fun fact: if you turn compressed air from the air compressor directly onto one of those little earplugs, it will shoot out at you at approximately 3000 mph. Usually right into your eye.

Yesterday was derailed slightly in terms of getting 79 work done. I traded one diesel 80 for another. @joekatana keeps supplying me with incredibly cool trucks, and I am very, very grateful for that. My poverty pack 80 is staying in Austin with my good friend @davegonz, and Dave’s turbodiesel 60 is staying in Austin, too. Follow all that?

All I know is that Marilu the HDJ80 is the nicest truck I’ve ever driven, and certainly the fastest.

AA17515B-F76B-4C30-A6A1-1506DAA564A6.jpeg

A36A8AD4-A3F4-46F9-A563-CA7B2A7A3BF9.jpeg
FC5DE5A8-A5F9-4932-9291-B7E508477DA4.jpeg

Back to tech:

I finally got the enamel brushed on the block this afternoon.

I had an apprentice with me to finish out the painting. Luke, age 8, finished out the last corner of the block.

D4FF61CD-9D7B-426F-8EE4-EBE267A95CD3.jpeg
96AA830F-5292-445B-95FC-1709A582B220.jpeg

Last edited:
All I know is that Marilu the HDJ80 is the nicest truck I’ve ever driven, and certainly the fastest

All take all of that as a compliment .. and really happy ( you don't know how much ) she found a Cruiser home .. ( almost in tears here )

All take all of that as a compliment .. and really happy ( you don't know how much ) she found a Cruiser home .. ( almost in tears here )

Ten years ago you were standing on the beach with me in Catalina looking at it. You talked about it so much, after like three hours I had to go sit down! I think you kept on chatting about with some guys who walked by. :rofl:

Pretty surprised you got rid of it.

Cheers

David (@Tapage ), Marilu va estar bien con Galen. Yo le voy a poner ojo tambien.

Last edited:
David (@Tapage ), Marilu va estar bien con Galen. Yo le voy a poner ojo tambien.

After being following this thread I have no doubt she will ..

With @Tapage's blessing, YES.

not that you actually need it but yes !

Ten years ago you were standing on the beach with me in Catalina looking at it. You talked about it so much, after like three hours I had to go sit down! I think you kept on chatting about with some guys who walked by. :rofl:

Pretty surprised you got rid of it.

it wasn't planned .. She was the Cruiser of my dreams perfect in every single way .. I'm trying to make Cleo as close as possible to her .. and as much newer she is, she will never replace Marilu ..

I didn’t get a lot done on the 79 this week. I had to do an emergent axle swap - I’ll tell all y’all about that later…

My pump did come back from Pacific Fuel Injection. The turnaround time is amazing. Price is exceptionally reasonable.

FA3EE8DC-B68B-4B34-8F39-4446C33448D2.jpeg

In the last five minutes of today’s workday, I started to unmask the painted FT block. I thought I was all done with razor blades, but clearly I am not. Overall I think it looks at least half decent.

0AE2E7C7-CC0B-4538-A06B-862F54697B27.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sure it will be super looking all assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom