Little Scare on the way home... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a little scare today coming home from school. Heres what happened. I was driving home like any other day and I accelerated and noticed I wasn't going anywhere faster, the truck just revved up, so I look at my shifter (1989 Fj62) it was in D....:bang:. So I keep trying to get going because I'm going up a slight gradient so I'm slowing down, get to a side street,with no power at all by now, and put it in park and roll under the thing. Nothing looks FUBR'd so I get in the truck, take a deep breath and shut it off and wait, start it back up, D, and it's fine....weird. I'm pretty sure the tranny was slipping out of gear real bad, because when I was under the truck I heard a sort of tapping sound which I assumed to be the tranny...
What else could it be?
What should I do?
Where should I take it if needed?

Thanks fellas

-Carl

i know squat about automatics, but his sounds like the it's getting hot and slipping. once cooling (your clicking), then it's able to grab again. I recall a lot of folks run coolers to help with this on their 62's.

i'd hold onto your 88 if you need a donor - those autos are crazy expensive!

someone who actually owns a 62 will chime in with better details - GL!

rob

Hmm, I wouldnt think the Tranny would be too hot, because it was very cool out, I know that doesnt mean much, but it will run cooler than on a hot day. So may be my cooler is shot?

-Carl

When is the last time the tranny was serviced? I had an old 66 fury that would do that and changing the fluid helped prolong the tranny for awhile- it did eventually die a painful death. A cooler is your friend.

Fluid level is fine.....Next on the list cooler upgrade?
If so, how easy, and how for the matter? :whoops:

-Carl

Maybe the shifter wasn't completely in the D position and slipped out of gear halfway or something. My shifter is loose and you can move it up and down without actually changing gears- R, N, D, 1,2,3 etc. It will say its in Drive when its actually in neutral if you are not careful.

See if it does it anymore, if it doesn't I bet it was just the shifter in the incorrect position.

My shifter is loose and you can move it up and down without actually changing gears- R, N, D, 1,2,3 etc. It will say its in Drive when its actually in neutral if you are not careful.

What is worn that is causing this movement? I have the same issue. I know it's not the loose shifter, I tried that. IH8MUD Forums - View Single Post - Loose gear shifter?

Clicked the link, looked at the cooler cooler, and cannot figure out how I would purchase one....if needed of course...:confused:.

-Carl

Had similar problems in the past my guess would be the kick down cable.
They can get dirty and corroded over a lot of miles. It can prevent the transmission from shifting lot's of threads on it.
:beer:.

What is worn that is causing this movement? I have the same issue. I know it's not the loose shifter, I tried that. IH8MUD Forums - View Single Post - Loose gear shifter?

Im not sure if i am going to describe this right, but you kinda have to loosen the nuts up that hold the shifter in place and kinda preload the linkage so that it is all tight. So you would put it in drive, loosen everything, push the shifter forward so it is definitly and firmly in the right position (aka the red gear indicator is showing in the right place), then tighten the nuts. I put bushings in which stopped the side to side wiggle, but i have to do the aforementioned procedure to get the up and down play out.

Little update, checked my tranny fluid, its fine, checked the shifter when it happens, its fine. So what the :censor: is going on?:crybaby::crybaby:
Also I dont think its the kickdown cable because the engine still revs when I hit the gas...
-Carl

Clicked the link, looked at the cooler cooler, and cannot figure out how I would purchase one....if needed of course...:confused:.

-Carl
Their newish page really sucks, the previous page was much easier to find things. That said, I've always just called them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom