Little hose to top of radiator..what is it for?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by rolnblok, Feb 16, 2009.

1. rolnblok

rolnblok

Just finished replacing my oil pump housing "o-ring", crank seal, and radiator swap to the brass model. Figured since the old radiator was leaking, I would un-bend all the tabs on the top reservoir to see how dirty it was. It actually was pretty clean, but I noticed that the opening for the little hose nipple was completely plugged with "gunk". I used a very small wire through the nipple and pushed out a .25 inch or so solid plug of sludge that looked like a piece of spaghetti noodle. The plug was not solid when pinched and fell apart, but would have been a complete blockage to coolant flow from the little hose. So my question is: What is the purpose of that little hose and coolant circut?

FWIW: I completely drained the coolant system when I bought this rig as a PM last spring. Used distilled water as a rinse, and refilled (green by the way :flipoff2:). Coolant looked new when I drained it this weekend. There was no evidence of sludge that I could see in the rows.

Maybe this is something to check when doing a cooling system PM? Pull the hose off and see if you can blow into the radiator via that nipple.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.