Little help ... CA vs Federal identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all you California 40 owners .... how do I figure out if I had a federal or CA emissions set up? Look in my door well and found this but I still can’t find anything specific. Also when I purchased the car he said it was a 76 but now I’m wondering if it’s a 77 lol

1F532A36-C8ED-4351-B22E-4E52982A74AC.jpeg

Is there any tags on the hood. Picture of the cowl behind the hood would have a welded shut vent on a 76 model and no vent on the 77 model. Should be a second metal tag on the A pillar with a production date. 8/76 was the month the 77 model started. California would have a exhaust manifold different than federal version.

Is there any tags on the hood. Picture of the cowl behind the hood would have a welded shut vent on a 76 model and no vent on the 77 model. Should be a second metal tag on the A pillar with a production date. 8/76 was the month the 77 model started. California would have a exhaust manifold different than federal version.

I’ll take a look - that’s exactly why I’m trying to figure out - need to know which manifold to get like you mentioned .. and helps me know correct emission stuff to get

What is your frame number? Can you shoot a pic of the sticker under the hood? If it is black with white letters the vehicle was originally destined for CA market.

Here’s my numerals pics

the actual square tag

hard to see but tag on engine says: 2F 079687

and then 2 pics of numerals on the carb side of engine

B98FC4DA-3B84-4443-A579-9999BC1FF79E.jpeg

C1D86EB6-2C90-4FEC-98B5-54AB63B017BC.jpeg

3DFB12A6-59E7-4941-BF2C-76B5FB514807.jpeg

8F9FD30C-3626-4AB8-B957-6BA441DF7639.jpeg

Because the sticker on the A pillar says USEPA thinking it is a federal model. The metal tag with two screws should be on the right fender close to where the battery is. If on the firewall it was moved. 78 had it on the firewall with rivets.

Because the sticker on the A pillar says USEPA thinking it is a federal model. The metal tag with two screws should be on the right fender close to where the battery is. If on the firewall it was moved. 78 had it on the firewall with rivets.

Don’t see anything on fender

Don’t see anything on fender

That is because the one on you firewall was moved from the fender. It was held on with sheet metal screws. Mid sixties moved from the firewall to the fender. Didn't move back to the firewall until 78, when for the time it was held on with rivets not screws.

Hopefully your frame is stamped FJ40~220575 that it's matches your tag which would put it an 3/76 production date.

In the center of the cowl behind the hood do you have a removable grill? 76 should have one but 77 didn't. 77 was just solid mental.

Hopefully your frame is stamped FJ40~220575 that it's matches your tag which would put it an 3/76 production date.

I don’t think I have the removable grill, I’ll check that

and then where is the stamp on the frame so I can check that too? Thx

God Bless Kalifornistan ! And the smog Nazis are worried about some guy's 44 year-old car harming the butterflies and the unicorns.

Although I live here, I understand why the rest of you 49-staters wish we would just have The Big One and simply fall off into the sea.

God Bless Kalifornistan ! And the smog Nazis are worried about some guy's 44 year-old car harming the butterflies and the unicorns.

Although I live here, I understand why the rest of you 49-staters wish we would just have The Big One and simply fall off into the sea.
Amen Brother Bear!!!! 😎

Update:
For clarity this is what I found...

Federal emissions stickers will just say, "This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA regulations". California emissionsvehicles will state, "This vehicicle conforms to U.S. EPA and State of California regulations"

therefore mine would be federal :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom