Lithium or Moly grease for front wheel bearings and hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think in an extreme case using a moly grease in a wheel bearing could cause the parts of the bearing to not rotate and create flat spots, but like someone else said, greases have come a long way.

As @-Spike- said, the old tale of moly being so slippery that is causes flat spots goes against the laws of physics. I can only see this happening if the moly grease is too thick--so thick that the rollers can't rotate. If the moly grease is rated for wheel bearings then it should absolutely be fine.

As @-Spike- said, the old tale of moly being so slippery that is causes flat spots goes against the laws of physics.
Actually not against the laws of physics, but you need to be in a class 1 cleanroom for this to be true, and there needs to be substantially more moly than the additive amounts.
Now, since I VERY rarely service my truck inside a class 1 cleanroom, I use 1 grease for everything on the vehicle. This eliminates the question of compatibility and simplifies regular servicing. Amsoil GPTR2 gets squirted regularly into all the appropriate holes.

Nah, for this to be true the rolling resistance would have to be less than the sliding friction. Even if that could happen you would have still zero flat spots because the friction would be so low. Less friction = less wear, not more.

Last edited:
Well this might be asking for trouble when I go camping on the weekend but I've used LMM in the wheel bearing hubs on the front as well as for the swivel hubs (CV's and kingpin bearings) purely because I wanted to use the same grease. Call me a risk-taker. ;) I haven't driven the 80 with all the new stuff finished off as yet. I won't be towing anything on the trip.

Hi guys,
Went to buy new tyres today but saw that the front left wheel had some play and thus I needed to remove, check and adjust the bearings (pretty new, only about 20k km).
Pulled off the wheel, calliper and hub to find the wheel-bearing grease in the hub was black, but not runny. As if it's been contaminated by the birfield / cv grease?
I haven't stripped any further but the smell of this grease is akin to the LMM Castrol CV grease I used in the ball-joint and cv, so I'm thinking there's just been some cross-contamination here?
Would overfilling the ball-joint / birfield / cv with LMM grease (probably what I did 'cause I like over-engineering :) cause it to push outwards along the shaft and into the wheel-bearing hub and mix with the thicker Lithium WB grease? From the comments above it doesn't seem like this is a train smash?
What else do you think I could check?
Will adjust the wheel bearings properly this time!

Last edited:
There is high probability of cross contamination and only a small chance it will lead to a blown head gasket. You are probably fine. However if you have it out, repack the bearing with the right stuff and carry on.

There is high probability of cross contamination and only a small chance it will lead to a blown head gasket. You are probably fine. However if you have it out, repack the bearing with the right stuff and carry on.
Much 'obliged, Sir.
I'll clean and re-grease the bearings in the hub as best I can (without removing the rear grease-seal) and re-assemble.
Cheers

Almost exactly five years ago I started an experiment of my own on my SC LX. I bought new bearings, spindles, birfs, etc and decided to try and only use Red-n-tacky for everything in the knuckle (bearings and birfs). It’s about 50k miles later and I’ll let you know if it starts leaking or causing problems. So far zero issues and I just drive it.

In another 10-20k I’ll likely crack everything open and do a post mortem. I need to know for sure where the potential/actual damage really is but not going moly.

I’ve been using moly grease in everything I put grease in or on for at least 20 years with no problems. Most EP grease is classified as general purpose and good for all types of bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom