Lithium or Moly grease for front wheel bearings and hubs (1 Viewer)

I think in an extreme case using a moly grease in a wheel bearing could cause the parts of the bearing to not rotate and create flat spots, but like someone else said, greases have come a long way.
As @-Spike- said, the old tale of moly being so slippery that is causes flat spots goes against the laws of physics. I can only see this happening if the moly grease is too thick--so thick that the rollers can't rotate. If the moly grease is rated for wheel bearings then it should absolutely be fine.

As @-Spike- said, the old tale of moly being so slippery that is causes flat spots goes against the laws of physics.
Actually not against the laws of physics, but you need to be in a class 1 cleanroom for this to be true, and there needs to be substantially more moly than the additive amounts.
Now, since I VERY rarely service my truck inside a class 1 cleanroom, I use 1 grease for everything on the vehicle. This eliminates the question of compatibility and simplifies regular servicing. Amsoil GPTR2 gets squirted regularly into all the appropriate holes.

Nah, for this to be true the rolling resistance would have to be less than the sliding friction. Even if that could happen you would have still zero flat spots because the friction would be so low. Less friction = less wear, not more.

Last edited:

Well this might be asking for trouble when I go camping on the weekend but I've used LMM in the wheel bearing hubs on the front as well as for the swivel hubs (CV's and kingpin bearings) purely because I wanted to use the same grease. Call me a risk-taker. ;) I haven't driven the 80 with all the new stuff finished off as yet. I won't be towing anything on the trip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom