List of AHC Spares for 100-Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Forum,
Similar to the 100-Series thread for trail / trip spares in general, I'd like to get feedback on trail / trip spares for those of us with AHC.
I've spent some time on the forum and haven't been able to find the answer.

I'm thinking the following, but would like feedback from the group:
- 89407-60010 (Rear Height Sensor) [Aisin HST-026]
- 89405-60012 (Right Front Height Sensor) [Aisin HST-020]
- 89406-60011 (Left Front Height Sensor) [Aisin HST-021]
- 1 Front Globe
- 1 Rear Globe
- AHC Fluid

If a single globe fails, AHC will continue to operate more or less normally, correct?
And it's unlikely that 2 globes would fail during a trip (unless a really long trip...), so maybe globes are overkill?

Thank you.
Tom

I don't carry sensor spares. If you have a bad globe, the ride will be be worse, if you have bad globes (plural) it'll feel like a pogo stick on bumps/dips. I would say globes as a spare are overkill, sensors, not so much if you have the room/money for them (assuming your already baselined and have important spares already like heater t's, coil pack, fuses, wheel studs, lug nuts, etc)

Hello Forum,
Similar to the 100-Series thread for trail / trip spares in general, I'd like to get feedback on trail / trip spares for those of us with AHC.
I've spent some time on the forum and haven't been able to find the answer.

I'm thinking the following, but would like feedback from the group:
- 89407-60010 (Rear Height Sensor) [Aisin HST-026]
- 89405-60012 (Right Front Height Sensor) [Aisin HST-020]
- 89406-60011 (Left Front Height Sensor) [Aisin HST-021]
- 1 Front Globe
- 1 Rear Globe
- AHC Fluid

If a single globe fails, AHC will continue to operate more or less normally, correct?
And it's unlikely that 2 globes would fail during a trip (unless a really long trip...), so maybe globes are overkill?

Thank you.
Tom
I just ran the Rubicon in my LX470, we also had an LX570 in the group. The LX570 had an AHC issue and lost all pressure on the drivers side front causing the rig to drop all the way to the bumpstop on that corner. It still drove off the trail(luckily we were near the end) but it def created a situation where the vehicle took more damage/needed more help. As for spare parts for my LX470 I replaced the rear springs with Old Man Emu medium load springs, for 2 reasons, number one I added a bumper and number 2 of the AHC failed in the rear they would hold the load. I also had planned on brining LC torsion bars, I didn't end up bringing them but the plan was simple, if AHC failed in the front slap the LC torsion bars in to get me off the trail.

I just ran the Rubicon in my LX470, we also had an LX570 in the group. The LX570 had an AHC issue and lost all pressure on the drivers side front causing the rig to drop all the way to the bumpstop on that corner. It still drove off the trail(luckily we were near the end) but it def created a situation where the vehicle took more damage/needed more help. As for spare parts for my LX470 I replaced the rear springs with Old Man Emu medium load springs, for 2 reasons, number one I added a bumper and number 2 of the AHC failed in the rear they would hold the load. I also had planned on brining LC torsion bars, I didn't end up bringing them but the plan was simple, if AHC failed in the front slap the LC torsion bars in to get me off the trail.

why not install the LC/aftermarket TBs already as a precaution?

why not install the LC/aftermarket TBs already as a precaution?
That was the original plan, but just ran out of time to do that so was going to throw them in the back but then didn't. I think it would be a great idea to have the LC torsions in the front, that way if AHC failed you'd be set. I'm going to most likely replace the system next year so not sure I'm going to still swap in the LC torsions at this point, only a few more trail runs left for the year.

I'm already baselined and in the process of putting together my spares based on my experiences and the main spares thread.
I've got King Springs installed in the rear, which I would think should help if I lose the AHC altogether, but I'm sure it will depend on my load as to whether or not I'd be riding the bump stops in the rear or not.
The more support you have from the rear springs and the front torsion bars, the less load your AHC shocks are carrying.
I believe if you install too much support, in relation to the added weight of vehicle (gear, armor, etc.) the AHC shocks would become ineffective.
Maybe installing the non-AHC torsion bars, then cranking them just a minimal amount to get in the right AHC pressure range, might work?
How were your rear pressures with the OME medium load springs?

funny to read this. My ACH just failed (Bryce Canyon) 600 miles from home. My front end is on the bump stops. I’d love a set of front sensors. Good post

funny to read this. My ACH just failed (Bryce Canyon) 600 miles from home. My front end is on the bump stops. I’d love a set of front sensors. Good post

Damn. Too bad I didn't post this a few weeks ago. Maybe it would've convinced you to buy a spare sensor or two. Post a wanted ad on the forum. Maybe someone is close by with some spares!

I'm already baselined and in the process of putting together my spares based on my experiences and the main spares thread.
I've got King Springs installed in the rear, which I would think should help if I lose the AHC altogether, but I'm sure it will depend on my load as to whether or not I'd be riding the bump stops in the rear or not.
The more support you have from the rear springs and the front torsion bars, the less load your AHC shocks are carrying.
I believe if you install too much support, in relation to the added weight of vehicle (gear, armor, etc.) the AHC shocks would become ineffective.
Maybe installing the non-AHC torsion bars, then cranking them just a minimal amount to get in the right AHC pressure range, might work?
How were your rear pressures with the OME medium load springs?
I didn't check the rear pressures, just threw the springs in and ran the trail! That was my plan exactly, throw in the LC torsion bars but don't crank them, then if I lost AHC I would crank them up! with LC springs and torsion bars even with an AHC failure you would be fine to drive off the trail.

I didn't check the rear pressures, just threw the springs in and ran the trail! That was my plan exactly, throw in the LC torsion bars but don't crank them, then if I lost AHC I would crank them up! with LC springs and torsion bars even with an AHC failure you would be fine to drive off the trail.

I wonder if anyone has done exactly that to an AHC 100... Put in LC torsion bars and cranked them very little. I wonder how the pressures and ride would be... If only I had infinite time and a set of LC torsion bars... I really like the idea of having "insurance", especially "insurance" that just requires cranking of torsion bars!

I think this is a great way to approach AHC and trail risk.

Sensor spares are easy and small (probably good PM for most folks - replace the old and keep as spare).
LC torsion bars adjusted to keep pressures on the low end of spec - ideally with plenty of tightening thread left for a trail fail-safe.
Rear springs to keep rear on low end of spec.

Another thought I have is that if you're on a trail and AHC kicks down to low, adjust your sensors DOWN. Many AHC failures into low are related (seemingly) to the system's inability to hit H within pressure limits. Often it seems to not be a total loss of pressure. Lowering the sensor joint could be all that's needed to finish a trail (and ride home) with normal functioning AHC.

No, it didn't!

I wonder if anyone has done exactly that to an AHC 100... Put in LC torsion bars and cranked them very little. I wonder how the pressures and ride would be... If only I had infinite time and a set of LC torsion bars... I really like the idea of having "insurance", especially "insurance" that just requires cranking of torsion bars!

I was running SwayAway TB's before I pulled the plug on AHC. It was an "experiment" that worked out pretty well. SwayAway TB's on built LX w/ AHC

it makes me really happy to hear someone is doing the rubicon in a 100 :)

Also, I still vote to delete AHC. Personally i don't think it's worth the trouble, but I have been called a knuckle dragger more than once.

it makes me really happy to hear someone is doing the rubicon in a 100 :)

Also, I still vote to delete AHC. Personally i don't think it's worth the trouble, but I have been called a knuckle dragger more than once.

This thread is to be a constructive conversation about AHC spares / configuration. Please no negative AHC comments. We've heard them all before / enough.

This thread is to be a constructive conversation about AHC spares / configuration. Please no negative AHC comments. We've heard them all before / enough.
It’s a tech discussion, about tech, in a tech thread. deleting ahc is a reasonable point when talking about it failing on the trail.

AFAIK, The AHC accumulators are somewhat interchangeable.... as in, if you only carried a rear spare, it can be used in the front position.

Some AHC delete "kits" retain the AHC T-bars. Not really suggested long term, however, they can work short term and as long as the front weight is not excessive. Also, granted there is enough threads on the adjustment bolts and/or they are indexed to work. Carrying a 30mm socket would be needed.

When my LH front height control sensor went out, I disconnected it and test drove for 10 miles, while waiting for my new sensor to arrive. The dash AHC "OFF" light flashed the entire time but the front height was in normal position. I did not really explore that any further but it is worth looking into. Try it out, see how long you can drive with one, good front sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom