Liquid Spatter on Can? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Any thoughts on this? Kinda looks like oil, but not sure. If the fan was blowing oil around, I’d expect to see it on the fan, belts, and everywhere else. I do leak oil from the main seal and/or pump cover, but this spray is new.

Recently installed radiator wa a cup or two lower than it was on first fill, overflow tank empty. (Normal on first fill, or indicative of HG leak? Been about a hundred miles since rad change.) No high temps though, so thinking spatter not coolant.

So WTH is this spray?

Possibly unrelated, but similar pattern on hatch. I back up every time I leave the house…

FC29E1B3-039D-4D84-BE94-9443A781B6EA.jpeg

F4B29CF0-F51D-432A-B5F4-424F73A9581C.jpeg

36B2E389-D4A1-49A3-8AE6-291A8268B00E.jpeg

Any thoughts on this? Kinda looks like oil, but not sure. If the fan was blowing oil around, I’d expect to see it on the fan, belts, and everywhere else. I do leak oil from the main seal and/or pump cover, but this spray is new.

Recently installed radiator wa a cup or two lower than it was on first fill, overflow tank empty. (Normal on first fill, or indicative of HG leak? Been about a hundred miles since rad change.) No high temps though, so thinking spatter not coolant.

So WTH is this spray?

Possibly unrelated, but similar pattern on hatch. I back up every time I leave the house…

View attachment 3220228
View attachment 3220229
View attachment 3220231

I have oil leaking from the front engine cover, probably oil pump and maybe engine main. It covers everything on that side of the engine with oil.

I've seen rear axle pinion leaks deposit droplets on the rear hatch. Anything dripping could probably do that.

What does it smell or feel like? Engine oil, Transmission fluid, Gear oil, or coolant/anti-freeze??

Post up a photo (and check) the radiator, top and bottom, also the front of the engine, axle housings, timing chain cover looking down from above, underside of the engine, hoses, etc,etc.

I have oil leaking from the front engine cover, probably oil pump and maybe engine main. It covers everything on that side of the engine with oil.

I've seen rear axle pinion leaks deposit droplets on the rear hatch. Anything dripping could probably do that.
As for the hatch, I was thinking it might be coming out of the tailpipe. Oil or coolant maybe?

What does it smell or feel like? Engine oil, Transmission fluid, Gear oil, or coolant/anti-freeze??

Post up a photo (and check) the radiator, top and bottom, also the front of the engine, axle housings, timing chain cover looking down from above, underside of the engine, hoses, etc,etc.
Will-do. Rain permitting. I’m def leaking more oil after rad change than before. No idea why.

From pictures, doesn't look oily, just watery. Given recent cooling work and what you said about fluid level, that would be my first guess/place to look.

I don't see how the back of the truck could get splattered with liquid droplets from the tailpipe.

Are you losing more engine oil after new radiator, or is it transmission fluid? The latter would seem plausible, as you're dealing with the cooler lines.

From pictures, doesn't look oily, just watery. Given recent cooling work and what you said about fluid level, that would be my first guess/place to look.

I don't see how the back of the truck could get splattered with liquid droplets from the tailpipe.

Are you losing more engine oil after new radiator, or is it transmission fluid? The latter would seem plausible, as you're dealing with the cooler lines.
Good point. Oil consumption is definitely up, but I'll drop a white pad under the leak to make sure tranny fluid isn't leaking as well. Might look brown after rolling over oil-soaked axle housing…

Last edited:
This after two starts and 2-3 minutes of idling. All oil. Spatter on hatch, gate, and bumper as well. I was thinking maybe something misting out the tailpipe and I’m backing into it.

This after two starts and 2-3 minutes of idling. All oil. Spatter on hatch, gate and bumper as well. I was thinking maybe something misting out the tailpipe and I’m backing into it.

Damn son. How fast you backing up ? 😂

Radiator cap fully closed? Sealed if it is closed?

I’d be topping off rad fluids and checking daily
Same for transmission. Auto cooler line runs through bottom of trransmission.

One of those lines leaking could be picked up by fan and blown around possibly. Is this the cheap temp rad that was warned against?

yes auto trans lines on bottom of rad would be my guess

Damn son. How fast you backing up ? 😂

Radiator cap fully closed? Sealed if it is closed?

I’d be topping off rad fluids and checking daily
Same for transmission. Auto cooler line runs through bottom of trransmission.

One of those lines leaking could be picked up by fan and blown around possibly. Is this the cheap temp rad that was warned against?
Oh I’ll be checking. Yes and no; it’s the ‘new normal’ plastic-tank rad, consistently keeping temps in the 180s. New rad goes in with refreshed engine.

Ground leak is definitely oil. As to what’s on the can, that requires further inspection. have a few more days of rain first, so they say. Main seal/pump cover area leak not new, rate of leak is. Spatter also new.

C8D8C3D0-E0A5-46EA-9311-0F3B78A5F2DA.jpeg

27868CEF-2997-42CD-B9CC-C95AD2A0D364.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s the oil cooler on PASS side of block look like? Though Typ that would be a coolant leak

Oil fill cap on tight?

Fan blade tips look clean but that looks like it’s been slung/blown around engine bay

What about power steering lines where then oss through frame. Any abrasion/leak there ?

from that pic it looks more like the front of the oil pan/bottom of rad area no?
fans just blowin it around inside the engine bay and its drippin of the front diff and gettin caught up in the air stream coating the back of the vehicle
yummy

from that pic it looks more like the front of the oil pan/bottom of rad area no?
fans just blowin it around inside the engine bay and its drippin of the front diff and gettin caught up in the air stream coating the back of the vehicle
yummy
Makes sense, given the recent faster leak and the brick-like aerodynamics. Thought I could put this off until the engine swap, but now I’m guessing not…

Last edited:
What’s the oil cooler on PASS side of block look like? Though Typ that would be a coolant leak

Oil fill cap on tight?

Fan blade tips look clean but that looks like it’s been slung/blown around engine bay

What about power steering lines where then oss through frame. Any abrasion/leak there ?
Good thoughts; will check when dry.

Spatter pattern like that typically comes from the belts and sheaves on the front of the engine.

I'm guessing engine, PS or AT fluid dripping on the pulleys and getting spread around.

Here's a fun story: I changed out my radiator in preparation for moab. Not the transmission soft lines that connect to it. Few hours down the road I'm almost to the top of a pass, and guess what blows? That's right, the soft lines, which were at the end of life and the movement to disconnect and reconnect then was the last straw.

Wanna know what happened when they blew? All that A/T oil covered the hood, roof, and hatch of the car. A year later all the paint that was coated in oil was gone and the whole truck needed a paint job.

Here's what everyone should learn: don't even think of replacing the radiator and leaving the squishy tranny lines

Last edited:
Here's a fun story: I changed out my radiator in preparation for moab. Not the transmission soft lines that connect to it. Few hours down the road I'm almost to the top of a pass, and guess what blows? That's right, the soft lines, which were at the end of life and the movement to disconnect and reconnect then was the last straw.

Wanna know what happened when they blew? All that A/T oil covered the hood, roof, and hatch of the car. A year later all the paint that was coated in oil was gone and the whole truck needed a paint job.

Here's what everyone should learn: don't even think of replacing the radiator and leaving the squishy tranny lines
So, old timer hunting in the woods, resting the muzzle of his shotgun on the tip of his shoe. Fish & Game guy comes along, tells him he shouldn't do that. Nah, says the hunter. Perfectly safe; I blew that toe off ten years ago. Moral of the story? **** if I know--but my paint was shot to hell when I bought this rig so, least of my worries. :) Those lines, on the other hand... Thanks for the heads-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom