Linex Wheel Wells?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a rust free (as far as i know) cruiser. Im trying to keep it that way. My obsession with linex has led me to believe that sealing off the seams and quieting the road noise by linexing the (exterior) wheel wells would be a good idea. I would get it applied over the factory sound deadening/undercoating since that stuff seems pretty hard and looks like it would have to be sandblasted off. I would love to do the whole undercarriage but a frame off resto is not in my near future.

Can anybody think of any downsides to doing this? should i just paint it instead?

sorry i cannot provide any good input on this topic, but i did discover something when i went to the car wash.
Reach your fingers around in the wheel well arch. You will probally come out with a bunch of goop...i take the high pressure washer and bend it to fire up and kinda back at you and blast that s*** out, amazing how much s*** comes out.
I guess my theory is to keep it clean and dry, your never going to completly stop oxidation, but eliminate plant matter that accumulates in places. Its almost always places you cannot see, so wear some junk clothes and get down on the ground.

Stick the pressure washer inside the chassis rails, in the front fender dog legs, etc. My personal favorite is to take the door sills off and blast out the rockers, atleast twice peryear. Then i poured some linseed oil in there.

just my 2 cents,
cheers

Stick the pressure washer inside the chassis rails, in the front fender dog legs, etc. My personal favorite is to take the door sills off and blast out the rockers, atleast twice peryear. Then i poured some linseed oil in there.

just my 2 cents,
cheers

what do you mean by this? im trying to picture what your talking about.

I wouldn't user Line-X personally. If you clean them out well before sealing them i'd use something like Second Skin's Spectrum which is intended to be an undercoat/dampener. That should do both well and give you the best dampening for tire noise.

At least that's my plan! I have my fenders off so plan on coating both while apart so it should be well sealed up.

HTH!

rob

While admittedly knowing nothing about Spectrum, I'm inclined to think that the bed liner will better stand up to the abrasive grit sprayed off the tires. The belt and suspenders approach seems to me to be to put the bed liner inside the wheel wells facing the tires and the Spectrum, or similar, on the cabin/engine bay interior surfaces of the wheel wells.

EDIT: I think that I'd actually paint the tire side of the wells with POR-15 first.

3M Undercoating...damn fine stuff.

I did my wheel wells with Herculiner over Rust Bullet. I started with a rust free rig and pressure washed (with Simple Green) the wheel wells completely. Let them dry out for 24 hours (we have very low humidity). I put the rust bullet on with a brush and then the herculiner on with a small roller and a brush. It is messy doing this with the brush held upwards so wear gloves and plan on getting it all over. I removed the wheel on each well and put a plastic bag over the hub and brake mechanisms. It has been over a year and I drive 12 miles of gravel each time I go to town. The herculiner has held up well and certainly changes the gravel noise from a sharp clink to a duller, less noticeable sound. Also, it seems that our sticky mud does not cling as well as it did before, which is surprising considering that the Herculiner has little rubber bits in it that make for a roughend surface.
I caught the Herculiner on special at NAPA and the gallon was about $55. One gallon was all I used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom